4| Clueless

Glory sent out a warning. She was surprised that many RainWings didn't vanish the second they heard the news. On the contrary, many came up to her asking what they could do to help protect the rainforest.

Glory sent them to Deathbringer, giving him more dragons to train. She had about fifty newly trained RainWings surveying the forest from above and twenty on the ground.

Glory didn't know much about the potential war, but she did know that a NightWing was planning it.

Which means I can't trust any of them.

Not even...

Deathbringer landed on the platform beside her, eyeing the rainforest with a hard look. Glory had asked him to report back to her every hour, but now she had to think about the safety of her dragons.

"Nothing out of the ordinary," Deathbringer reported calmly. "The RainWings I'm training are as useful as sloths. They don't know a thing about fighting, and frankly, they don't plan on learning. Glory, what you have me doing is pointless when it'd be more beneficial for the both of us if I just guarded you instead."

Glory didn't look at him for a moment before finally lifting her gaze.

"I'm taking you off of training duty," she said, which clearly surprised him.

"You are?" he asked, and then seemed relieved.

"Yes," Glory answered. "I'm taking you off and... I'm going to tie you to solid rock underground, along with every other NightWing." Deathbringer blinked at her as if he couldn't tell if she was joking or not.

"What?" he finally asked.

"I don't have a choice, Deathbringer," Glory said, finally facing him. "This war is being started by a NightWing in my own rainforest, so it could quite literally be anyone."

"What, so you think I'm starting a war against my own queen?" Deathbringer demanded, seeming offended.

"It's a risk I'm not willing to take," Glory snapped, flicking her tail as she beckoned to invisible RainWings in the sky.

"Glory," Deathbringer said in a condescending tone. "You can't be serious right now. I would never do that to you. In fact, it's quite insulting that you'd even consider it."

"And how can I be sure you won't?" Glory demanded in response, glaring at him. Glory didn't like the way she was treating him, but as a queen, it was her job to protect her dragons no matter what. "You're an assassin, Deathbringer. You are literally trained to kill other dragons, and so are most of the other NightWings. I want to trust you right now, but needs outweigh wants."

Deathbringer stepped closer to her and lowered his voice just a little. "Glory, the only time I'd kill a dragon is to protect you. You are the last dragon I'd ever hurt or go against. I would die for you and I'd happily do it again."

The RainWings Glory had beckoned to landed on either side of Deathbringer, getting ready to escort him away as they did with about sixty other NightWings so far. Deathbringer kept his gaze pinned onto Glory as he didn't budge.

What am I doing? Glory thought, wanting nothing more than to keep Deathbringer by her side no matter what.

Glory looked away first. "Take him to the cellar."

Deathbringer didn't look away as the RainWings took ropes from their pouches and started binding his wings. The ropes would later be switched out with fire-proof bindings that Thorn had agreed to lend Glory.

"I hope you know what you're doing," Deathbringer said and didn't put up a fight as he was led away.

I don't, Glory thought and turned back to the rainforest.

<3