Overalls

It had been a week. A week I have been preparing for my death. Angus hadn't spoken to me once in training since the stunt I pulled on the rock wall. A few of the tributes had come up to me and introduced themselves. It was the younger ones around my age that did. 

I walked into training and today I walked directly to the knife section. The knives had come almost natural to me. I had so much experience with knives back at home. My father always caught the fish and It was up to me to skin the fish. I knew already how to hold a knife and was quickly taught how to target and throw a knife here by the instructors. 

I lifted a dagger up off the table and looked towards the district 2 female. I winked at her and threw the knife towards the target hitting directly in the center of the target. She didn't like that. She walked over to me and lifted a knife. She turned and chucked the knife and it landed outside of the target. I couldn't help myself but quietly laugh. "Bitch" I heard her mutter

She looked over at me with such fury in her eyes. I didn't even realize when she ran over and grabbed my hair. I quickly punched her gut and then grabbed her hair as well. We sat there tugging at each others hair until I felt arms wrap around me. 

Peacekeepers dragged us away from each other and I looked up at her laughed. She looked even more angry. "You better get ready! When I get you in the arena I'm gonna make ur death slow!" the district two girl said and I laughed once again. "Nooo I'm so scared!" I mocked her and she was shuffled away by two peacekeepers. 

xxx

"What the hell were you thinking?" Finnick yelled towards me and I rolled my eyes. I didn't speak to much back at the hotel because why would I. Everyone that I lived with knew that the peppy girl was all just an act. 

"She was a bitch" I said looking over at him. "Yeah, okay well all people from district one and two are bitches!" Finnick said and I sat back in my chair and took a bite of the cherry pie in front of me. 

"You're placing a target on your back" Finnick said and I looked up at him. "I'm just following your advice being this confident girl!" I almost yelled. 

"I think you are getting confidence and cocky mixed up because that isn't confidence!" Finnick said and I looked down. He was right. I was putting a target on my back. 

I stayed quiet for a moment and Finnick seemed to chill out a bit. I tilted my head up and looked towards the mural on the ceiling and the sirens that looked down at me. 

"Tomorrow is the individual assessment so you two need to pull it together and put on a show for the game makers make sure you show off your best skills, Angus show off your spear throwing abilities, May you should focus on the knives and climbing" Finnick said and Angus nodded his head and his knuckles cracking filled the room. 

"Don't call me May" I said and Finnick rolled his eyes. "The assessments start at noon tomorrow so be ready" he looked at me only when he said this. I met his gaze and he looked at me with worry and a scent of guilt lingered in his eyes. 

xxx

I waited patiently sitting next to Angus. His leg bounced up and down. I didn't realize I was doing the same thing until his name was called and he stood up. "Good luck" he said to me and I nodded my head at him "You too" I said and he walked towards the gate for his individual assessment. 

There was small chatter around me as I waited patiently for my turn. "Mable Alcott" a computerized voice rang through the room. I felt eyes watching me as I stood up and walked towards the gate. 

It opened to the training center and I felt so many butterflies in my stomach. I immediately first headed towards the rock wall. I turned behind me and about half of the game makers watched me. "She's got a better view from behind!" One yelled and a roar of laughter burst through the room and this caused the other older men to look towards me. I felt uncomfortable and more nervous before now that they were all dissecting every part of my body and my figure. 

I quickly scaled up the wall and luckily did it in record breaking time for me. I walked towards the knives next and picked up one of them. I felt the grip in my hand. It had a bumpy texture so you knew where to put your fingers. I touched my index finger to the tip of the blade and felt how sharp it truly was. 

I turned towards the gamer makers who were watching me and I was convinced it was because I had my back towards them. I felt myself grow angry as I felt the eyes on me. I then turned towards them. "Lets pretend this is you!" I yelled pointing the knife at the gamemnaker who had said I looked better from behind. I then stayed staring at hand and then threw the knife towards the target blindly. 

I heard it hit and the game makers went quiet and I turned my head to see if it had landed where I wanted it to land. The knife was stuck right between the dummies legs and I smiled to myself. 

"Thank you for your generous time" I said and walked towards the exit. 

xxx

That night I sat in the apartment on the coach watching the scores be shown. 

District one female: Overall 7 

District one Male: Overall 9 

District two female: Overall 10 

District two Male: Overall 8 

District three Female: Overall 4

District 3 Male: Overall 3

Tigris held my hand as I waited for my score to be called. Angus sat with his hands folded. His name then gets announced. "With a overall score of eight" Caesar Flickerman says and the room claps excitedly. Eight was a good score to get. 

I then heard my name be called. "Mable Alcott" Caesar looked down at his paper and then back up. "With overall score of ten" The room burst with clapping once again and a small smile formed on my face. Tigris yelled and hollered for me and then Finnick picked me up and spun me. 

"That's my girl!" he said with a big smile on his face and I felt proud of myself and felt myself lighten knowing that Finnick was proud of me too. 

Hopefully everyone enjoyed this chapter! Comment and vote if you want! Next chapter is interviews and then it's the games!