A Freaking Goddess

I stared at myself in the mirror, tears brimming at my eyelids. "Please..." I blutter. I didn't want to be here; I liked myself just the way I was, didn't I? "Don't make me do this."

    The man behind me stood waiting for me to finish my dramatics, scissors in hand. He turned his head to look at my sister and I pleaded with her in the reflection of the mirror. She looked bored. Sighing, she looked back at him and flashed him a quick smile.

    "Don't worry, just do it, she'll be fine." She gave him a wink and turned away to sit in the waiting area of the little shop.

    The man took a shuddering breath as he stepped in front of me and started hacking off my hair. "Damn." He said. "She's so damn hot."

    At that comment my stomach dropped and I rolled my eyes, the tears from before drying quickly. "She's my sister." I mutter.

     The scissors stop snipping. "Are you for real?"

    I looked into the guy's hazel eyes. He had a nice face, but had gone and ruined it by dying his hair electric blue. I lied quickly. "She has a boyfriend,"

    Looking defeated, he went back to chopping off my beautiful hair. When he asked me if it was for the summer, I almost vomited. "No. It isn't for the summer. I lost a bet."

    He took a step back and looked at my face for a solid ten seconds before nodding. "What was the bet? This cut really compliments your face structure though!"

    I huffed. Why was I telling this guy about the bet? It was a bet between me and Lexi, no one else. Well, sorta anyway. Last summer, when I caught Lexi making out with two guys in our restored guesthouse/treehouse, I had threatened to tell Mom and Dad. She had laughed, claiming I was just jealous that she could get any boy she wanted. Every boy she wanted. Yelling at her didn't appear to be the correct response to that. She laughed. "If you're not jealous, prove it. This year, I bet you can't get one guy to be tripping over himself to make out with you. And if you can, then you can tell Mom and Dad."

    I had been so angry at the time, I had actually agreed to it. And then I went an entire school year, dropping my GPA an entire 0.1 just to get boys' attention. And did it work? Hell no. Now I'm sitting here with a 3.90 GPA going into my Junior year with my overlording sister forcing me to get a haircut.

    "Look sweetheart," The man said, pulling my chin to look at the mirror. I did and was astonished at my own reflection.

    "How did you do that?" I said, my hands flying to my head to make sure it wasn't a trick.

    "Nah!!!" He exclaimed, snatching my wrists to stop me from touching my own freaking hair. "Don't touch! You don't add paint to a masterpiece, do you??"

    So I sat in a trance, staring at my reflection. My wavy hair still reached three inches past my shoulders, but now there was more of a frame around my freckle-infested face--in the forehead area.

    "They're called bangs, darling. And might I say, you make those bangs look rather gorgeous. I would bang that in a--"

    "JANE" I looked over at my sister as she stood from her seat. The woman sitting next to her gave her a dirty scowl before going back to her People Magazine. "Oh. My. Goooooooosh. You look stunning."

    I was at a loss for words. What was I supposed to say, yeah? Thanks? Or I know? I glanced back at the mirror. My brown eyes looked three times larger than before.

    "Omigerd, thank you so much, Garian!" Lexi said with a squeal of glee. "She looks amazing!" She threw her arms around the blue-haired boy, whose face turned a deep shade of crimson before his hands slid down her body, wandering closer to her butt. She backed away nonchalantly and handed him a check. "Get yourself a pretty date and go out for dinner!"