Checking in with Dad

The dream I had last night is still floating in my head this morning.  In it, I'm packing all my belongings. I go to dad and tell him I’m leaving forever.  He gets so angry he tells me he never wants to see me again, that I’m a traitor and a liar.  He calls me irresponsible and immature.  I leave without looking back. In my dream, I board a train that puffs pink smoke in its wake. I arrive on the train in front of Mom’s apartment building, which is hazy, floating this way and that.  When I ring the intercom to get in the building, her voice floats out from speakers somewhere overhead.

               “Who is that?” the dream mom says.

               “It’s Sam,” I say. “I’ve come to live with you forever.”

               Mom laughs. “Live with me forever? You can’t live with me forever. Only for two days, and then I’m going to Istanbul! I hear it’s nice this time of year.”

               “But you can’t be going - I came to stay.”

               “No,” she says. “You can’t stay. Sorry, but you can live in the gallery across the street if you like.”

               When I turn around Benji is waving from the gallery. I cross the road, putting my luggage down in front of the large windows. The glass has all turned black.  When I look back across the road, the lines of my mom's apartment building are blurry. The building is wobbling, as if I’m staring at a desert mirage.  And as I watch it blows away like smoke in the wind.

               I shake my head, like I’m trying to dislodge the strange dream from my brain and out my ears.  After a bowl of cereal and a half hour attempt at writing that results in nothing, I throw a few books and my customary notepad in my messenger bag and make the short trek to the bus stopThe library is actually kind of nice. I look around, realizing I’ve missed the familiar surroundings.  The quiet murmur of people talking, the smell of old books, the row upon row of wooden shelves.

               I know where I'll find Jacob.  The library section doesn't have a huge comic section, but it did what it could.  There’s a little corner beside Science Fiction that houses their modest selection of graphic novels. 

               Jacob greets me with a wave and a huge grin, and I feel a smile on my face for the first time in a couple days.

               “Hey.” It's a relief to be around someone friendly.

               “Hey yourself!! Do you know I haven’t been to a library in a year?”

               “I know me too.  I fake going to the library all the time...” I falter. “Or I used to.”

               Jacob frowns. “Yeah, what happened? Everything okay?”

              “Long story.”

               Jacob gestures to the circle of cozy-looking, worn out armchairs.

               “We have all day and some cushy arm chairs over there.”

               “Yeah, we have all day until my dad gets back from work at six.”

               Jacob makes a face,.“That bad, huh?”

               I flop down onto the nearest armchair. “He found out that I was seeing my mom.”

               “Oh, crap.” Jacob sits down in the chair next to mine. “What did he do?”