Dogs (Part 1)

Eighteen years before

Theodore placed the tray with tea, milk, honey, soft cheese, and white bread on the table in the royal chamber. In the middle of the large and sumptuous room were scattered toys, some weather vanes with colorful edges, a spinning top, a hobby horse, a crumpled map, and a puppy tearing down a fort built of wooden blocks. Two boys were trying to stop the demolition caused by the beautiful sheepdog with black fur and caramel-colored paws and snout.

"Your Highness, the afternoon meal!" - Theodore announced.

"Don't let him get away, Theo!" - Auguste shouted with a laugh as the euphoric dog tried to escape.

Theodore clumsily held the puppy under his paws, preventing him from going through the open door. Beauce's sheepdog immediately began to wriggle and tried to bite the servant's hand cheekily. Then he let out a thin, resonant bark.

Four-year-old Laurent shouted and moved his chubby little hands as he walked towards Theodore. The servant handed the puppy to the prince and saw the boy smile and shake a wooden stick with a feather to catch the attention of the little animal. The sheepdog immediately stood up on its two hind legs, barked, and jumped.

Then Auguste got up, went to the tray, broke a piece of bread in half, and bit into it.

"Theo, where are my parents?"

"The King is still in the boardroom with your uncle and the Council, Your Highness. The Queen is in the library," - replied the servant, filling one cup with tea and the other with milk. Then Theodore hesitated and continued: - "Councillor Herode has said that he would like you to attend the next meeting..."

Auguste took a deep breath and replied:

"Herode wants me to take more part in the negotiations and political affairs. My uncle says I'm too young for that, but my father wants me there and says I should handle everything as if I were already king. I'm sure that as soon as they can, the Council will push me towards some wedding arrangement..."

Theodore mixed some honey into the cup of milk and frowned. Then he flushed.

"Your Highness is only sixteen years old. Your Majesty the Queen says that she thinks Prince Auguste is still too immature for marriage."

Laurent laughed as the little dog reached the feather of the shaft and began to paw it vigorously. Auguste laughed too.

"I'm not a kid, Theo..."

Theodore offered the cup of tea to Auguste, who had been sitting on the carpet, still chewing on the white bread he had broken in half. The boy with the brown, wavy hair asked:

"Your Highness has no interest in courting anyone in the capital?"

Auguste paused for a few seconds and replied after a while, having swallowed his food: