Chapter Three

Xchotil and her mom had planned to go shopping for the birthday and the wedding. It was such a big day for both of them, but Xchotil had a secret no one would believe. They arrived at a flower shop, owned by Kerryane, Evelyn's sister. Kerryane was a jovial person, she went off with her dad when their parents got divorced. Evelyn remained with her mom. She was blonde and had ocean blue eyes. She had graduated college and decided to start her own flower shop as a side job for extra income. Xchotil liked her a lot, especially since the shop always had her favorite flowers, daisies. Her mother's bouquet would have daisies and that was a score for Xchotil since she was a big fan of flowers and everything colorful.
   "Oh! Look at you all grown up!" said Kerryane as she hugged Xchotil.
   Xchotil laughed as her aunt scooped her up and spun her around. She always saw Kerryane as the fun aunt. She went over to where the daisies were and took one and put it in her hair.
     " So, how you feeling? "asked Kerryane.
    Evelyn just stared at her blankly. Until she was brought out of her thoughts by Xchotil poking her and showing her the flower in her hair. She smiled and told her to go and pick out the flowers. Xchotil ran away excited, they both stared at her smiling.
    "So how are you uhm, with all this her turning eight, you getting married again all in the same day? I mean it must be stressful?!" said Kerryane.
    "Please don't start this again, we've talked about it I just can't tell her yet." replied Evelyn.
  Kerryane looked at her sister, she knew that she had to do it eventually or it would come to haunt her later on.
    "Uh OK fine suit yourself." she said
      Just then Hugo walked in, Evelyn went up to him and hugged him. Xchotil just stayed where she was and didn't show any interest at all, atleast she didn't want to. She was well aware of her actions.
  "Mommy I'm done, can we go have lunch now my insides are burning and I'm starving." whined Xchotil.
    They left and went to a nearby restaurant. They hadn't done much but just picked out the flowers and bought Shoes for both Xchotil and her mom. The ride back home was quiet, Xchotil was usually a chatterbox and it was rather odd that she quiet. Evelyn brushed it off, she was lost in thought that she ended up squeezing Hugo's hand.
     "MI amor are you OK, that's quiet a grip you have there." said Hugo with a slight chuckle.
     "Mhm I'm good, I'm sorry just excited for the big day." she lied.
       The pulled into the driveway a couple minutes later, Xchotil sprinted into the house and into her room, closing the door behind her. Soon, night crept up on them with the stealth of a cat and they were at the dinner table going off about the birthday the wedding the after party and everything.
       Evelyn tucked Xchotil into bed after a movie and family time as they called it. As she was hugging her goodnight, she touched a spot on her back and Xchotil flinched. She lifted her pyjama's to reveal a huge bruise on her lower back.
    "Oh don't worry mommy, I fell down the stairs a few days ago while you were at work and I hit my back on the edge." said Xchotil
   Evelyn tried not to think much of it and just turned a cold shoulder to it assuming it was just a typical seven year Olds clumsiness. She turned off her lights and she herself went to her room and found Hugo in bed already, half asleep. She didn't want to mention about the bruise and instead just climbed in next to him and after a few words of reassurance she fell into dreamland. Trying to shut out her  thoughts.
        But she just couldn't stop thinking about the bruise on her daughter.... Was there something she didn't know about?