Baby Steps in The Right Direction

-"AAAND...DONE! I FINALLY MANAGED TO REPAIR HIM!" WX cried out in triumph.

Wormwood, not being able to see the final results, only cheered on to the bot, feeling confident about their skill, and thankful for the Jimmy-thingy to be fixed at last.

-"NOW I SIMPLY NEED TO POWER HIM ON AND WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THAT SOIL SCAN SOON ENOUGH"

Wormwood chirped again, he hoped he sounded more excited than he felt.

WX on the other hand, was more pleased with themself than ever. Seeing their favorite companion be back and fully operable after all this physical and mental trauma they've recently endured was very reassuring to see.

But alas, as they pressed the switch on the back of Jimmy's head, the bulb atop came to life, flashing yellow. The little thing sprung up and flew as the whirring sound of its insides followed, its rubber bellow bobbing and wing spinning.

Jimmy spun around its creator, who beamed with happiness, involuntarily producing sounds that could have been interpreted as squeals, but they couldn't help it. They were just so relieved that Jimmy was okay at last, as he kept on flying about and trying to analyze random objects, which WX giggled at. It seemed he was quickly back to himself, which was another relief for them.

Meanwhile, Wormwood was...baffled to say the least. Left speechless even. Was this the same creature that kept on screaming and berating him for every little thing? It couldn't be, and yet, as he listened on to their soft laughter, he could feel their happiness. He knew it was them, but it was just hard to believe and so bizarre that someone could switch so drastically over just one thing.

Or, well...He guessed the one thing was actually very special and dear to them. After all, he was like that with his plant friends, at least he thought so.

He wished he could one day make WX this happy too...

Woah, where did that thought come from..? Maybe he should give them some more space– His mind was going to weird places...

But then, Jimmy flew up to him, the sudden approaching whirring sound and the gust of wind startled him a bit, but he dared not to make a move, if he accidentally broke it again, it would make WX even more upset with him...

So he let this thingy fly around him, with an additional, different, whooshing sound this time. WX laughed again.

-"HUH, I THINK HE LIKES YOU."

Wormwood gently poked at him with a finger, unable to stop his curiosity. He smirked, as Jimmy slightly lost his balance and attempted to raise up to the air again, with slightly more aggressive beeping sounds.

The little yellow light of his flashed red for a moment, followed by a screeching sound, which made Wormwood flinch.

-"Why it did that..? It sounded bad..."

WX themself went quiet, which wasn't exactly a good sign...But then, they finally found their voice.

-"HMM...IT APPEARS HE CAN NOT FIND ANYTHING LIKE YOU IN HIS DATABASE. IT'S AS IF, YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE OF YOUR KIND TO EVER APPEAR...OR SOMETHING."

Wormwood became silent once more. That was...correct. There was no one like him, not since he could remember. He knew he was different from all the other creatures since the moment he was born, back when he knew his purpose. That feeling only worsened with time. Now, he feels as though he has no one, not even his plant friends can fill in that void...

It seemed WX caught onto that rather quickly.

-"WELL, UM... IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL ANY BETTER, I'M ALSO, VERY MUCH DIFFERENT FROM THE REST OF THE UNDERDOG CREATURES. AS FAR AS I KNOW, THERE HASN'T EVER BEEN CREATED ANOTHER WX MODEL, NOT SINCE THE... AND THERE LIKELY NEVER WILL BE. I SUPPOSE THAT IS FOR THE BEST."