an opportunity to help

POV: Selene

"Please help me," I plead with Dr May and what must have been the fourth time today.

"I don't really have any knowledge in this area but I can recommend a few therapists you can try to help her through this," he sighs. He hasn't been much use at all recently. It's been over a week since the ordeal with Athena happened and Elise hasn't spoken to anyone, no matter what anyone says in an attempt to get her to say something.

Not only that but she's barely eaten anything I've given her. Whatever she does manage to swallow she just throws up a few minutes later so it seems pointless. She's lost so much weight that I'm certain she's now classified as dangerously underweight. She's constantly shivering even though she's tucked under thick duvets in my bed and I don't think I've seen her leave it when I'm around.

The thin state of her shatters my heart in a way I never though it would. I'd thought that when we rescued her that it would be a few days maybe before she picked up and got back to her usual self - but it hasn't.

I still sleep next to her on occasion but she doesn't snuggle up to me like she used to. She just turns her back to me and keeps on sleeping as she does for most of her time. The only way she can get bathed is when I tentatively wipe her down with wet wipes or a damp sponge. She doesn't react at all whether the water's too hot or freezing cold. The only reaction she's had is a small whimper of discomfort when I washed between her thighs once, but she never made that sound again.

The instant she got back to the house I called Dr May over so that he could give her a check over and he found nothing other than a few beatings and a bit of rough handling of her. There's nothing physically wrong with her but I'm really reluctant to take her to a therapist.

She isn't even speaking so I doubt it'll be much help. At this rate though, I have no other option than to try it.

I thank Dr May, too tired with all this to yell at him for being useless, and hang up, running a hand over my dark hair, massaging my scalp as I debate seriously taking Elise to one of his recommendations. I don't know if she'll even want to see a therapist, let alone like one of them enough to explain what's going on.

But there isn't any other choice. She's too far gone for me to help her alone now. She's needs someone more professional who knows how to deal with this properly.

"Good fucking luck..."

Athena's words keep ringing in my head whenever I think about how difficult it's been with Elise. She knew that this was going to be difficult to deal with. She knew that she had broken my Elise far beyond what I could repair. She knew...that I'd consider giving up on Elise.

I'm not giving up yet, though. If there's even a slim chance that one of these therapists can help, I've got to take it.

Getting up from my desk, I leave my office and stride through the quiet corridors of my mansion. Since everything happened, everything here has become so much quieter for Elise's sake. No one talks about it but we all know how horrible the situation was and no one wants to do more damage so silence is the safer option.

I take a deep breath before knocking three times quietly on the door to our room before opening it slowly, letting the light from the corridor enter the shaded room. She got up and closed the curtains again. I never see her do it but she the only person in here and those were definitely open when I left the room this morning.