On The Move

"And what say you, Sir Samuel? I had not expected to meet yet another one bearing armor of this type..." Scarlet commented as she watched the Spartan and kids matching pace with her, one of them on Sam's shoulder as if he were an older brother, while the elder of the two held onto his hand. Sam wasn't as much confused as he was surprised to hear there were more of his people around, but he didn't voice it. Scarlet took the silence as its own answer and told him, "You handled yourself quite well, for your first time fighting raptures."

"Thanks," He replied, wary. The gait and posture of the woman, despite her friendly demeanor, spoke of someone always on-edge. She was spry, but looked tired and wary herself, despite the soft smile. At least that was what Sam thought as they approached a tubular elevator hidden amidst the wrecks of a dozen vehicles, many of which were military armored transports. He asked, "This the elevator?"

"Yes," Scarlet nodded, "Come along now, Children. 'tis time to head home..."

Sam helped the girl on his shoulders down gently, then took his helmet off and smiled at both of them, before telling them, "As much as you guys need to scavenge, please, don't wander out like that again. God only knows if we're going to find you again..." before patting both of them on the head. Giggling, the two nodded in thanks, then stepped toward the Elevator as Scarlet hit the 'open door' button. The two entered the surprisingly large elevator car, before both Scarlet and Sam waved and Scarlet hit the 'go' button.

As the doors pressed shut, not a seam between them, Scarlet stretched and yawned, before murmuring, "Odd day to feel sleepiness. I need my spirits..." as she showed Sam to follow. The two walked, with the woman humming as she arranged her hat, before stating, "Those children are probably outsiders to the Ark, or so they seem. Have you had a chance to talk to them, learn their lives?"

"Nope," Sam sighed, "Not before we had to hide from a battalion of those things we fought."

"The Raptures," Scarlet told him, "Yes, devious fiends, those... Though lucky for the children you were there. The marks of battle scar your armor," and she motioned to the dents and plinks from various caliber rounds fired by the Raptures. Strange name for machines of war, but Sam couldn't exactly complain about naming conventions. He scanned the area around him, noting the trees, the rising forms of ruined Skyscrapers in the distance, the overgrowth and the destroyed vehicles of military and civilian origin. A ruined highway lay farther ahead, bridge destroyed, rubble blocking the road.

Overhead, rainclouds had long ago gathered as the sun faded behind their gray form. Rain began to fall, Sam sliding his helmet on his head as the pit-patter of the droplets came to him. He heard Scarlet breathe in, then watched her outstretch her hands, before letting out a deep sigh and smiling. "The wonders of the Surface..." She whispered, barely audible.

She led Sam through into the depths of the forest as his HUD continuously updated. He tried activating his communication system, but found slight jamming kicking in due to some sort of radiological issue nearby. He sighed and switched off his communication system, making sure to keep his IFF tag up just in case friendlies were around. Or, well, if the person Scarlet had met was friendly, so they could identify him.

The quiet walk through the Forest gave him time to reflect. He had died. He remembered it quite clearly, having to hold off the Covenant because an overcharged plasma blast holed his suit near the chest, leaving it unsealable, which meant a space walk would've been a suicide run anyway. He'd held the Covvies off 'till the bombs went off aboard their ship and it was destroyed, recalled the flash and the next thing he knew was he was here.

Scarlet was not one to break someone out of their pondering if it helped them cope, or at least realize things about their problems. She instead chose to simply lead him forward to one of her closest Gardens, so he may yet find some solace in resting, perhaps alongside another comrade. Deeper in the Forest, the pair entered a clearing that had tilled soil and canals, a small hut sat to the side and some discarded bottles of drink here or there.