20. We're Not Morning People!

"Remind me again why we're going to church all of a sudden?" Emma asked as she tugged and tugged at the abnormally puffy sleeves of the blouse her mother had forced her to wear. Emma wanted to wear a nice t-shirt and jeans, but Mrs. Walters wouldn't have that. "We're entering the Lord's house," she said in that matter-of-fact tone that all mothers possessed. "You will dress respectably." But was so respectable about about an ugly peach blouse with puffy sleeves and an equally hideous skirt to match? Not even her grandmother wore outfits like that!

"Emma, it's important to go to church," Mrs. Walters answered from the front seat. Emma and Liddy were crammed in the back of Mr. Walters's two-door sports car, which was basically a silver coffin, but he refused to sell it no matter how many times his wife begged. The family would have taken the roomier SUV, but they were running late and Mrs. Walters didn't feel like moving Liddy's car seat. She hid her frustration behind a smile and reminded herself that she needed to exercise patience on this sacred day. "Church teaches us values."

"What values?" Emma asked while Liddy dug through her tiny, pink bowl of dry cereal. Suddenly, the mischievous birthday girl threw one of her crunchy Os at Emma's face and then broke into a fit of giggles. Emma scowled. "Mom, Liddy's throwing cereal at me again!"

"No, I'm feeding you," Liddy said with a wide, dimply grin. "You didn't eat breakfast. It's the most important meal of the day."

Emma rolled her eyes just as another O smacked the side of her mouth. "Liddy, stop it! Mom, tell her to stop!"

"Lydia, stop feeding your sister, or there will be no party this afternoon."

Lydia's eyes widened. "Okay ..." Frowning, she reluctantly lowered her throwing arm and went back to her breakfast. Emma would spend the rest of the car ride listening to her little sister munch and crunch and smack her lips together, and no matter how many times Emma glared at her and told her to stop, she wouldn't stop. It was sheer torture.

"You know, Emma," Mrs. Walters said, "you really shouldn't skip breakfast. Why would you want to deprive your body of the energy it needs to kick off the day? Your brain needs food."

Emma rolled her eyes. "Is that what you tell the kids when you visit their classrooms?"

"Of course. And we're rolling out a new school lunch program in the spring."

"Aww, come on! I'm unpopular enough as it is. ... You know, every time you make changes to the menu, all the kids hate me a little bit more. You should've seen how they reacted when you took away the soda machines. I thought there was gonna be a riot. My life was in danger."

"That poison doesn't belong in schools. We have an epidemic, Emma. Do you know how high the rate of childhood obesity is in this country?"

"I know, I know, ... but could you at least stop introducing yourself as 'Emma's mom?' You're killing any shot I have at popularity."

"Well, I'm sorry my profession shames you. I'll remember that the next time you want something."

Emma sat back in her seat and crossed her arms over her chest. Why do parents always have to resort to threats? It's so childish.

Once they arrived at the church, Emma climbed out of the car and saw the Hoffmans walking through the parking lot. Mr. Hoffman was sporting his usual business attire (Emma had never seen him in anything but a suit), Mrs. Hoffman wore a dark blue pencil dress and high heels that clicked and clacked when she walked on the pavement, and Heidi was forced to wear a yellow dress with a big bow tied around the waist. "I look like a banana," she told Emma when the two families crossed paths.

Emma shrugged. "Well, I look like a giant peach."

Together, the two girls entered the church with their families, but once inside they wanted to get as far away from them as possible, so Emma asked her mother if she and Heidi could sit by themselves in one of the other pews. "I suppose," Mrs. Walters answered, "as long as you both behave yourselves. This is church, not the mall. I don't want to hear you two talking and giggling during service."