Chapter Twenty-Six

"Did you enjoy your little excursion?" the High King asked the next day after Dain and I had been hauled in front of him.

Dain would not be cowed. "You wanted me to prove she was no threat. I am doing so."

Feyrith nodded, but not in agreement. "The next time you need to return home, nephew, you will leave Yana Halfborn under my...care."

I saw the muscle in Dain's jaw twitch. "The forest will benefit from her presence."

"You mean she will benefit from it," Feyrith said, all amusement leaving him. "The forest has survived this long. It doesn't need her."

"She is no threat, uncle."

"So, you keep insisting. And why? I wonder, nephew, what there is between her and you. I have never seen you like this over any creature, let alone some inconsequential hybrid bastard. You had no hesitation when Thivrah was put down, but you would destroy a whole world for her granddaughter?"

Dain breathed heavily. Too heavily. I felt it. Something was about to happen. Something with the power to shift the dynamics. Something none of us was going to like. Was this what Dain had been putting off? When he'd said that Feyrith would try to take me from him? Was it about to happen?

"I wonder if I should see what all the fuss is for myself..." Feyrith mused.

He looked me over and a predatory glimmer shone in his eyes. He licked his lip and I felt glamour wrap around my legs, bringing me towards him. He extended a hand as I reached his throne, forcing me to accept it as he sat down and drew me into his lap.

"What a pretty plaything," he crooned in my ear, and I knew his eyes were pinned to Dain, the same way Dain's were pinned to his over my shoulder. "You have come a long way since I first saw you, Yana." His voice was low and seductive, a push of glamour holding me in place, stopping me from fighting back.

Dain's face was unreadable. Bored. Like he couldn't care less that the High King had his hands on me. That those same hands were sliding under my clothes. Like it meant nothing to him that the High King was brushing his lips across my neck. The only sign that made me hope Dain was as pissed as I was, was the tiny twitch in his hand before he slid it into his pocket. Otherwise, he looked for all the world like he was perfectly happy for his High King and uncle to be touching me, playing with me.

Then I realised something else. The glamour wasn't all Feyrith. I could feel the geas command under the High King's glamour. A stroke, hidden so expertly under Feyrith's power, that kept me where I was, that lifted my hand to run over Feyrith's chest.

"It seems your toy enjoys playing, nephew," Feyrith purred.

"She does play so well," Dain drawled, shifting my hand behind me to run over Feyrith's cock.

Feyrith's lips trailed down to my shoulder as his hand slipped down my stomach. Fury rippled through my body, but there was no acting on it. My body was locked in a relaxed embrace with Feyrith's. At his utter mercy.

So, it surprised me when he merely dipped his hand between my legs and back up almost immediately with a rough chuckle. He pushed me off his lap and towards Dain. "Enjoy her." It was a command. An order. I could feel the glamour in the words. I didn't know how much real power Feyrith's glamour had over Dain, but it seemed Dain was going to obey regardless.

Glamour swelled from Dain and wrapped around me, underpinned by the geas command. I had never felt his glamour so strong, as though he wielded it with far less precision than usual, clumsily, like he wanted Feyrith to know he was doing it. He drew me to him and kissed me hard and there was nothing but him. Him and me and unrelenting need. I had never needed anything more than I needed him right then. I needed to feel him against me, with me, in me.