Chapter three

(JANE)
We were back home before I knew it. I numbly walked past my uncle, who asked how the meeting went, but I ignored him. As I shut the door to my bedroom, I heard my mother discussing the meeting with uncle Johnny. I laid there on my bed, staring blankly at the wooden ceiling. What was I going to do? Scorch was no longer safe. Nor was I as I thought about it. The thought made my stomach turn. Mother called me for dinner an hour later, but I wasn't hungry. I just sat there rearranging my food with the fork.

"Jane, quit playing with your food," mother scold me.

"Sorry," I muttered. "I'm just not really hungry." My mother's face soften.

"Alright. I suppose that meeting had everyone rifled. I'm sorry you had to see that, dear." I shrugged.

"Well I don't know about you two," my uncle say taking a bite out of his dinner roll. "But I'd be pretty ecstatic to see a real life dragon." He gave me a wink and my mother scold him.

"It would not! Dragons are dangerous creatures!" Uncle Johnny shrugged.

"I remember the day that they were still flying free in this land. Both riders, sorcerers, and shifters."

"Shush, Johnathan. That was before the King declared them a menace. We are not to talk about."

"Why not? It's true."

"I don't want you to upset Jane." Uncle Johnny rolled his eyes and gave me a small smile.

"I'm not upset," I said and turned to my uncle. "Did you meet any? The riders and them that it?"

"Jane!" My mother scoffed. Uncle Johnny nodded as he shoved a mouthful of mashed potatoes.

"On my journeys I did," he answered. My mother shot him a look but he ignored her.

"You traveled?" My interests were suddenly peaked, my worries shortly forgotten.

"When I was roughly your age. I spent the next few years of life meeting new people and finding myself...."

"Including riders, sorcerers, and shifters?"  Uncle Johnny nodded.

"The very ones."

"And you never turned them in?" He shook his head.

"No. There was no reason to. They deserved to live on this land as much as we do."

"Johnathan!" Mother scowled. "Quit filling her head with nonsense."

"Alright, alright, sister," he said. It was quiet for the longest time as we ate. After a few minutes I asked,

"Do you think it's possible that they will come back?"

"Jane!" Mother yelled. Uncle Johnny looked him, and stared into my eyes with a knowing look.

"Only time will tell," he said. "I do hope one day that there will be an uprising and we call live as one again. Whether that be during my time or not." He gave a smile before returning to his meal. I sighed and remained quiet the rest of supper, mulling over what uncle Johnny had said.

~~~~

I spent the rest of the night with worries in my head. I couldn't stop thinking about Scorch and whether or not he was ok. Anything could have happened between when I left him and now. Again the thought turned my stomach and I thought I was going to throw up my supper. I suddenly thought about all the rumors that I've heard about where others like me, the riders, the Sorcerers, and the shifters were hiding. Could it be possible that I could make the journey?

It seemed impossible. Where would I start? How would I know where they are? They were rumors after all. But I stayed here, the more I risk Scorch and myself. The idea scared me, but I knew what had to be done.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Dec 02, 2023 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

The Rise of the Dragon Ridersजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें