Chapter two

(JANE)

Shoving a ten pound dragon in a satchel was easier said than done. Scorch wasn't too thrilled about it and fought me on many occasions. Finally, I managed to put him in there and put the strap over my shoulder. I grabbed my bow and quiver and headed out the door. Scorch squirmed in my bag as I walked through the main area of the house where my mother and uncle were currently at.

"Done with my chores I'm heading out!" I told them as I quickly hurried past. My mother and uncle gave me curious looks as I tried to keep Scorch from moving.

"Your chores?" My mother said. "I didn't see you do any of your chores."

"Are you alright, Jane?" My uncle said next. "You seem... off?"

"Far alright, uncle Johnny! I be back later! Bye!" I was off before they could get another word out. As far as the village went, no one paid any real attention to me. I was in the forest and to my spot before I knew it. I set my bag down and opened the flap to let Scorch out. He stumbled out of my bag and shook his entire body. He blew smoke at me in annoyances. "Sorry, buddy, it was the only way." Scorch snorted then continued to explore the little area. "This is where I practice my archery," I told him. "It's really the only time I get to myself." Scorch looked over at me as i spoke. He cooed in response. I smiled. "You want watch me practice?" Scorch stopped and yipped in response. My smile grew wider. I spent the rest of that afternoon practicing my archery, all the while Scorch watching me. He took a break every now and then to climb a nearby tree or chase an unexpected squirrel, he never wandered too far from where I practiced.

I began to realize how late it was becoming and needed find a place where Scorch can stay safely while I'm not here. I looked around the area and saw a fairly large tree with roots sticking out. Two of the roots in twined together leaving a perfect nest-like hole in between both roots. So taking some leaves I stuffed the hole and then I gathered up some loose twigs and sticks and constructed a fairly strong shelter over the root nest. It was perfect for a baby dragon. The little dragon watch me as built its home. By the time I was done the sun was starting to set. It was time to go home.

I made little kissy sounds to draw the little dragon to me. "Come here." I called for Scorch. "Come on." The dragon happily pranced towards me. I couldn't help but smile. "Look, it's your new home. This is where you will be staying for the night." Scorch cocked its head at him then it proceeded to open its mouth and yawned, its tiny fangs glistening in the setting sun. Sighing, I picked up the little dragon and I placed it in the nest. He looked at its new placement, stamping at the leaves below. It looked back at me with a tilt of its head.

I grabbed what was left of my bread and place it inside the tree, so it won't go hungry. "I'll see you tomorrow OK?" I said, but it just stared and blinked its green eyes at me. I huffed, hoping that message was clear. I stood, brushed myself off, and started walking home. I soon heard the sound of little feet of my dragon following me. I turned and sighed. I bent down it picked it up. It weighed as much as a full-grown cat. I put it back in the nest. "Stay!" I ordered.  Scorch whimpered softly, walked around in a circle before settling down. Its green eyes looking up at me, crushing my heart. I felt bad for leaving it there all by itself, but what else could I do? I couldn't take it home, that would only cause trouble. I took a deep breath, turned and started my way back, trying hard not to look back.

=====

Sleep didn't come to me as easily as I'd hope. I kept thinking about Scorch and how frightened he must be and how he's probably losing as much sleep as I am. The guilt was eating me alive as laid there in bed. When I came home earlier in the evening I was hammered with questions from my mother. I was able to defuse her by saying with all the drama that has been the last twenty-four hours that I jus needed to get out. It seemed to work, but I felt her suspicious looks on me all evening. Luckily Uncle Johnny stayed out of the situation.