VI

BGK

I watched as Kelly wiped away the makeup from Dorinda's face, revealing a fresh bruise under her eye. I clenched my jaw and balled up my first as I looked at her.

I watched as tears rolled down her face in shame and pain while Kelly continued to wipe her face clean of the makeup. My breathing got heavier as more and more bruises became visible.

"Gi.." I heard Michelle say softly behind me, placing a hand on my back.

"Go call Shawn." I muttered lowly as I kept my eyes on Dorinda. She wouldn't look at any of us besides Kelly who was now taking pictures of her bruises.

"Toni too." I heard Solange say making Michelle sigh but walk out and call them for us.

"Are there more?" I asked as I slowly approached the desk. She nodded, still not looking up at me.

"Where?" I asked softly as I squatted down beside her.

"Everywhere." She said as she unwrapped the scarf from around her head and neck. Pushing her hair to the back, she showed the hand shaped bruise that covered her entire neck.

She then took off her suit jacket revealing bruises covering her arms and upper back. Kelly quickly took pictures of them, trying not to cry as she looked at the damage done to Dorinda's body.

"Last night, he um." She shakily spoke as tears welled up in her eyes. I grabbed her hands in mine squeezing them lightly knowing what she was trying to say.

"It's okay, you don't have to say it. Was that the first time?"  I asked making her immediately shake her head no. My heart dropped to my stomach as I quickly but gently pulled her into a hug. She laid her head on my shoulder quietly crying.

"God this is so embarrassing. I haven't even been here a full week and y'all are having to see me like this." She choked out in embarrassment. I lightly rubbed her back, watching as she tensed up when I got to the bottom of it.

"I'm going to lift the bottom of your shirt okay? Is that okay?" I asked softly feeling her hesitantly nod before burying her face into my neck, seemingly trying to hide.

I slowly lifted the bottom of her shirt, looking up at Kelly whose face dropped as tears rolled down her cheeks. She lifted her phone and took pictures of Dorinda's back before turning the phone and showing me what damage that man had done to her.

There were cuts, welts, belt indications and bruises all over her back. I gulped as I pulled her shirt back down and sighed.

"What's in the envelope?" I asked Kelly as she wiped her eyes.

"The skeletons in his closet." She said as she pulled the papers out of the envelope, spreading them across the desk. It showed pictures of him with different women, some family portraits of him with children, screenshots of emails and texts messages. Even pictures of him and Dorinda while he was hurting her in so many different ways.

"I don't know who got all of these but they're trying to give you a way out, you need to take it fast." Kelly said as Dorinda just continued to cry into me.