- p r o l o g -

•. ❆ * ⋆• ❅ •. ❆ * ⋆• ❅ •. ❆ * ⋆• ❅ •. ❆ * ⋆• ❅

Flynn and I used to be perfect together.

Pair skating partners. Best friends. Maybe a bit more than that.

Our friendship, or partnership, or whatever it was - it always seemed so solid to me. It was something we'd built over years, something that had always endured.

I thought we would always last. I thought, whatever happened, Flynn would always be by my side. We would always go through everything together.

Like he promised.

But that's the thing with hopes and expectations and promises: they're fragile. And you don't realize it until there's nothing left but shards.

You can never see it coming. And then it just happens, one event that changes everything. Irrevocably.

All it took for us was one competition. One wrong movement, one second of distraction.

Hard, merciless ice catching my fall. The sound of a crack. Red stains on the ice, blood on Flynn's hands.

People running around screaming, my terrified best friend. Sirens and darkness.

Then, a few hours later, the diagnosis. I had a concussion, a broken lower arm and a sprained wrist. The doctor told me I was lucky to still be alive.

The thing I loved most almost killed me.

The person I trusted most let me fall.

Nothing would ever be the same again.