Chapter 18

Chapter 18: High Fashion Greenhorns

Sage wrapped his arms around Sarah's middle and pulled her back against his body, spoon style. He'd called Newt and Beaner the night before and given them responsibility for the dudes so he and Sarah could spend time together. Julie had stayed the night at Tooty's and wouldn't be home until late afternoon. Weak sunlight filtered through cracks in the curtains and he lifted his head to watch Sarah sleep. She looked sweet, peaceful, and...inviting. He smiled remembering the previous night. After a delicious dinner and heartfelt conversation, he'd wanted nothing more than to end the perfect night with her in his arms. She was an itch he didn't want to go away. She made a sighing sound and he almost traced the dusting of freckles across her nose with his lips, but he didn't want to wake her...not yet. He'd let her sleep a little longer.

Lying back down he decided her feisty attitude appealed to him more than any woman he'd met since his wife. He admired her victory in overcoming life's hurdles. When he thought about her low-life ex-husband, he wanted to pulverize the man. Of course, if her ex-husband hadn't been such a bottom feeder, she wouldn't be in his bed right now. He remembered her sadness in talking about the child she'd lost. Oh, how he could relate to that. After losing Marylou and Michael he hadn't wanted to live. The only thing that had kept him going was raising Julie. Realizing that Sarah hadn't had anyone to keep her going, his heart ached for her. She was a keeper. Before he could contemplate the ramifications of that, she turned over and smiled at him.

He smiled back. "Good morning, Sunshine. Did you sleep well?"

Her smile widened. "I had the most wonderful dream."

"Was I in it?" He lifted a hand to trace the freckles that kept teasing him.

"You were the star attraction."

"Yeah? What was I doing?"

"Touching me."

Sage moaned and moved his lips to hers. That was the most erotic thing he'd heard in years. The words, "She's a keeper," popped into his mind again.

After a day of relaxation which included cooking breakfast together and then exploring his land on horseback, they were now relaxing in the living room. While Sarah typed on her laptop, Sage read the local newspaper. He loved small town life. The phone rang and he reached for it on the table next to his recliner.

"Hello, Sage here."

"When are you going to join the real world and get a cell phone?" asked Pinky, his agent.

"Wouldn't do me any good out here, no service. How ya doin', Pinky?"

Sarah looked up from her laptop and he mouthed, "Speak of the devil." She smiled and returned to tapping on her keyboard.

"I'm doin' super fantastic cause I just landed you an awesome gig."

"Yeah?" Sage couldn't drum up much enthusiasm.

"Don't sound so enthused," Pinky said dryly. "If I looked like you and got to cuddle up with all those gorgeous babes, I'd be swingin' from the chandeliers with excitement. Hell, I'd even work for free." He paused. "Well, maybe not for free...but cheap."

Sage laughed. "So, tell me about this gig. You know this is the season my dudes show up, so I can't take off for long."

"That's the beauty of it. They're coming to you and paying a butt load of money, to boot."

Sage didn't like the sound of that. "What do you mean they're coming to me?"

"I got a call from Harvey Livingston. You know, of Livingston Fashions. Seems he's got a new line that has 'cowboy elements,' that's how he described it, and he wants you to showpiece the clothing. He remembered you from the Vogue shoot last year--likes your style and rugged look."

Sage wanted to stick his finger down his throat. Harvey Livingston was a pompous ass. The only good thing Sage could think to say about him was that he did design great clothes. Without agreeing, he said, "Tell me more, Pinky."

Pinky chuckled and named a dollar figure that shot past the moon.

"You're kidding."

"Nope. All you have to do is let them take the photos at your place because they think it'll be cool to capture the real deal--you in your element, so to speak. The shoot will last four days and then you're in the money, buddy. Of course, I am too. God, I love me!"

Sarah looked up and Sage rolled his eyes. She smiled and his heart tripped. All he could think about were her kisses. They were the stuff of dreams. He couldn't wait to get Pinky off the phone. Then he remembered Julie would be home any time. Forcing his thoughts back to Pinky, he asked, "Am I posing alone?"

"No, they're bringing in three females."

"And where are all these people staying?"

"I told them you have a dorm. Come on, Sage. The more accommodating we are, the more likely we'll land another gig with them in the future. These people are not small time. Of course, I told them there're nice motels in town, but the idea of staying at a real ranch got 'em all excited. I thought Harvey was gonna piss his pants."

Sage groaned. "If I agree, they have to understand they can't reveal the location of the ranch. If not, it's a no go."

"Sage, I may be greedy, but I'm not stupid. You think I want to ruin our relationship. You make us lots of money. I think I can keep you modeling until you're as old as my grandpa."

"Please don't say that. You'll give me hives. A few more years and I'm retired. You haven't answered my question."

"I got it in the contract. Mums the word. No one will know the photos were taken at the Lazy M."

"Are you coming for the shoot?"

"Naw. You know that's not how it goes. You got the body, I got the brains. I'm working on our next project."

Sage puffed air and then covered a few more points with his agent. He got up to check his calendar in the kitchen. Pinky threw out a few dates to see what worked.

"Shit, Pinky, why are they in such a hurry. The only date that works for both of us is week after next."

"For that kind of money, I'd let 'em come tomorrow if they wanted."

Sage knew Pinky was right. The money would pay his huge tax bill and still leave a bundle in the bank. He huffed, "Okay. But I want the contract overnighted so I can read it first."

"You got it."

After they hung up, Sage realized he hadn't asked Pinky about the female models. He wondered if he'd worked with any of them before. Except for Chrissie Cabot, it didn't matter much, and Pinky wouldn't be stupid enough to send Chrissie to his ranch.

Sage heard Julie talking to Sarah when he returned to the living room. The girls looked at him.

"We've got more greenhorns showing up in two weeks." He laughed. "High fashion greenhorns. Should be interesting."