―iii| zoë gets turned into a constellation

🎀

🎀

JUST AS THE ARMY OF MONSTERS CAME OVER THE HILL, a Sopwith Camel swooped out of the sky.

"Get away from my daughter!" The man flying the plane looked like an older male version of Annabeth. His machine guns burst to life, peppering the ground with bullet holes and startling the whole group of monsters into scattering.

"Dad?" Annabeth yelled in disbelief.

"Run!" he called back, though he was hard to understand

This shook Artemis out of her grief. She stared up at the antique plane, which was now banking around for another strafe.

"A brave man," Artemis said with grudging approval. "Come, we must get Zoë away from here."

"But— but if we move her, she mi— might—" Aurelie bursted into tears before finishing her sentence.

"We have no other choice, dear," Artemis said, her voice full with pity.

The goddess raised her hunting horn to her lips, and its clear sound echoed down the valleys of Marin. Zoë's eyes were fluttering.

"Ha— hang on, please," Aurelie told her sister, trying to wipe away her tears but failed. "I— it'll be a— all right!"

The Sopwith Camel swooped down again. A few giants threw javelins, and one flew straight between the wings of the plane, but the machine guns blazed. Somehow this mortal must've gotten hold of celestial bronze to fashion his bullets. The first row of Dracaenaes wailed as the machine gun's blew them into sulfurous yellow powder.  

"That's... my dad!" Annabeth said in amazement.

They didn't have time to admire his flying. The giants and snake women were already recovering from their surprise. Annabeth's father would be in trouble soon.

Just then, the moonlight brightened, and a silver chariot— Artemis's chariot— appeared from the sky, drawn by the most beautiful deer Aurelie had ever seen. It landed right next to them.

"Get in," Artemis ordered.

Percy helped Annabeth getting Thalia on board and Aurelie helped Artemis with Zoë. She wrapped a blanket around her sister's body as Artemis pulled the reins and the chariot sped away from the mountain, straight into the air.

"Like Santa Claus's sleigh," Percy noted.

Artemis took time to look back at him. "Indeed, young half-blood. And where do you think that legend came from?"

Seeing them safely away, Annabeth's father turned his biplane and followed them like an honor guard. Aurelie didn't waste time to think about what the mortals might think— a silver flying chariot pulled by deer, escorted by a Sopwith Camel.

Behind them, the army of Kronos roared in anger as they gathered on the summit of Mount Tamalpais, but the loudest sound was the voice of her father, bellowing curses against the gods as the struggled under the weight of the sky.