05

Chapter Five: Treason? No big deal.

Sejanus

"I don't want to plan anymore," Willow says, crossing her arms as if challenging me to object.

Her games are tomorrow, and we need to be as prepared as we can. "Willow," I begin to argue, but she cuts me off.

She crawls across the couch cushions, grabs my hands, making a big show out of 'begging'. "Sejanus, pleaseeeeee," I can see her trying to hold back a smile. It used to unnerve me, but now I admire how she can smile and joke through it all.

"If I die in there, I don't want my last memory of you to be something as boring as this," the heavy statement stops me in my tracks.

I haven't given much thought to Willow dying. I know she can win if she tries. After seeing the way she moves and how smart she is, there's no doubt in my mind. It pains me that she doesn't see it too.

I want to deny her, but I can't bring myself to. "Okay, fine. What do you want to do instead?" I ask.

She drops my hands, face full of joy. "I don't know..." She trails off as she flops back onto her spot on the couch. "Can we just talk?" She asks softly.

"Of course. What do you want to talk about?" I reply.

She fiddles with the hem of her shirt, thinking for a moment. Suddenly, her face lights up, and it's as if a light bulb went on over her head.

"Sejanus, I feel like I barely know anything about you! I want to talk about you." She turns to face me and scoots closer, our legs brushing against each other's. The contact sends a shiver down my spine.

She's right though. I feel like I've asked her so many questions about herself, but I've revealed nothing about me. "Ask me anything."

She thinks for a moment. "You said you used to be a peacekeeper, right? Tell me about that." It seems more like a demand than a question, but I do as she says anyway.

"Yeah, being a peacekeeper was my punishment for going into the Arena during The 10th Hunger Games," I explain, watching Willow's eyes widen in shock.

I frown as I recall that time of my life. It's been 4 years, and I still carry the guilt of Marcus' cruel death.

Willow looks like she wants to interrupt but doesn't. Instead, she nods her head along with my words.

"Why I went in is a story for another day..." I smile sadly, trying not to think too hard about it.

"Anyway, I was stationed in District 12 with my best friend, Coriolanus. You've probably seen him around with his tribute." Despite us growing apart, I still consider Coriolanus my best friend. He's one of the only people I can actually trust.

"I got involved with some people in 12. I was trying to help them, but they lied to me. They ended up both dying in the end, and I got outed for committing treason by aiding in their escape." I explain, trying to shorten the story as much as possible.

Willow gasps in shock, her hand going up to cover her mouth.

"I was going to be hanged. I almost was. I was at the hanging tree with the noose around my neck when my superior stopped everything. My dad, I don't even know how he did this, was able to get my sentence lowered from treason to an accomplice. I think he argued that I was threatened and coerced into helping them. That was a lie, obviously, but a lie that saved my life."

Willow seems entranced by the story and doesn't interrupt.

I continue, "I was put on trial, and my dad bribed the jury. I got out of a death sentence with basically no repercussions."

She's silent for a moment, trying to take in everything I just told her.

"That's..." She trails off, at a loss for words. "You just casually told me you committed treason." She rests a hand on my leg as she laughs. I try to ignore the way it makes my breath hitch.

Willow's smile suddenly fades as she adopts a more serious expression. "What was that like? When you were at the hanging tree?" She asks the question so softly, as if being too loud would make me shatter and break.

An uncomfortable feeling settles in my stomach as I recall the moment. "Everything happened so fast. It was... terrifying. I didn't think I would get caught. To this day, I still don't know how they even found out."

Her eyebrows furrow in confusion. "They didn't say during the trial?"

I shake my head. "My confession was found on a Jabberjay recording. I just don't know how or who was recording my conversation."

"That's weird." A yawn interrupts Willow's reply, making me realize the time. She should be sleeping already! Who knows when she will be safe enough to sleep in the Arena?

"Shit! It's late, Willow. I should get going so you can go to bed." I stand up, beginning to gather my things.

Willow's hand catches mine, tugging gently. "I don't want you to leave."

For the first time since I've met her, she looks scared. Not sad or indifferent, but actually scared.

I can't deny her, not when she looks at me like that. So vulnerable and gentle. It's in this moment that I realize I'd do anything she asks of me.

I sit back down on the couch without a word, interlocking her fingers with mine. She rests her head on my shoulder and sighs.

"I wish I met you under different circumstances." She whispers, just loud enough for me to hear.

My throat tightens at her words. The cruel reality of her situation plagues my mind for the millionth time. This isn't fair.

I can't bring myself to reply. Our tender moment is ruined by a burning hatred for the Capitol swirling in my mind. I'd commit treason a thousand more times if it meant separating myself from those monsters.

My stomach twists with anxiety as I think about Willow's games tomorrow. A part of myself is going inside that Arena with her. I need her to come home.

A/N- this is kinda short but i thought i should leave it here.