Chapter 51: Cruel

After less than an hour traveling North from the field they found a small lake.

"Is it a lake? It looks more like a pond to me."Sora said as he looked at the small body of water in front of him. If he had to guess it was the size of two Olympic swimming pools together.

"It does look closer to a pond then a lake but the water appears to be incredibly deep here. Ponds aren't typically so deep." Casa pointed out.

"I suspect this 'pond' may be connected to a larger body of water underground. Perhaps a cavern. This would define the water we are viewing as a spring not a lake nor a pond." Gene corrected.

"How can you tell the water is deep?" Sora asked.

"The colour. The water nearest to the shoreline is pale. As one moves towards the centre it becomes black. The water is also very clear and beautiful. All signs point to an underground cave system or lake. If we had a member of the aquatic beastmen or mermaid race we could investigate. But none of us are capable of swimming that deep." Blaine said. He knew their job was to investigate the area but he needed to draw the line somewhere.

"Naturally you will not be required to enter the water. Sora, springs are very dangerous. Because the water is deep and it's connected to an underground cave system they are often home to very large and dangerous monsters. Until I get someone to properly investigate this spring you are not allowed to approach it." Keyne warned.

He didn't say anything specific but Keyne could feel the presence of something from deep in the water. It was strong, and showed some hostility towards them. Not a lot. Most likely it was observing them.

Keyne was confident the monster couldn't leave the water to follow or attack them from further away. Even so his plans to find a kelpie and have it investigate the cave system quickly made its way closer to the top of his list of things to do.

Having fresh water close by would have been great, but no one wanted to remain close. So they circled around the spring and continued moving north.

...

After moving a distance away from the spring they decided to make camp. The sun had fallen low in the sky and it would be dangerous to continue.

Sora had already begun marinated the snake meat for dinner. All they needed to do was skewer and cook it. While cooking Keyne sat down next to Sora. He had chosen to sit on Sora's right.

Sora couldn't see Keyne but he knew he was there. Keyne was always within reach.

"Keyne, do you really think a dangerousy monster lives in that spring?" Sora asked.

"I do."

"Will it come out to attack us? Or will it be fine as long as we never approach the spring?"

"Don't worry. The monster is most likely an aquatic one. I didn't see any traces around the spring of something entering or exiting on a regular basis. Although there are signs of things being dragged in." Keyne explained. Sora couldn't help but flinch when he heard things had been dragged in.

"Sora, I'm going to get someone to help us investigate the water in and around the area, including the spring. If it's truly dangerous we will take care of it then. Until we do you don't have to worry or feel scared." Keyne added.

"Okay."

...

That night everyone ate until full and slept well. In the morning they once again continued heading North following the western border of the land given to Sora from the king.

The walk was peaceful and only weaker monsters were seen along the way. Until the afternoon when they began seeing disturbing signs.

"Keyne, why does everyone look tense? Is there something up ahead?" Sora whispered quietly.