Move Fast, Keep Quiet

After a month apart, Kenzi is delighted to have Jake close at hand once more, and the ride to the airport will be one she won't forget for a very long time.

~*~

~*~

Kenzi

Seventy thousand voices rose in waves of glorious shared emotion and joy, the final notes ringing out as she waved and grinned so wide she feared her face would split. People often said she was drowning under the weight of her own star, her name in gilded blinding lights, and all her indiscretions forever marked in headlines for all of time. All the worlds a stage, as they say, and despite the diaphanous highs and concrete bone-cracking lows, she felt like she'd only just got her feet wet. No, she wouldn't drown; she would swim and keep swimming until she reached the end of the road and some other young thing took her place.

The stadium crowd had a life of its own, like a massive set of lungs expelling and inhaling air as it surged and flowed, light-up wristbands forming rainbows and stars as they moved like unseeing hands tugged them back and forth. It never mattered how much she gave them blood, sweat, and tears, opening her veins and old wounds every night to entertain them. She adored it, and all those who spent their hard-earned money to see her, she couldn't do any of it without them. But it had been a long run. She missed her home and Jake's heartbeat under her ear every night, lulling her to sleep and easing the pressure of her fame with his body before tumbling into dreams of paradise. He watched the entire show with her mom and Jessy, his electric eyes more dazzling than the many lights on her.

But her mind wasn't with the fans, sobbing, cheering, demanding more music and time with Kenzi as she handed her mic to a stagehand. Her mind was already running to Jake, waiting behind the stage for her to take her home. She took a bow with her crew, dancers, band, and singers. Her cheeks ached from smiling too hard and singing for hours, and her blood was high as they walked offstage. Her mother and Jessy hovered at the left side, wrapping her in their arms as she closed her eyes and sighed, her entire body going leaden as the reality of this being the end of her tour sank in. Pulling back, she smiled at them both, but both knew she was looking for Jake as her eyes skipped around behind them. Her mom rolled her eyes, Jessy chuckled, and Kenzi didn't bother to pretend she was abashed as her mom told her where to find him.

"Go, he's by the janitor cart you use to get into the stadium."

"Thank you. We'll have dinner tomorrow, promise," Kenzi swore, but her mom just snorted, arm around Jessy as she walked away and tossed a jesting comment back at her.

"Yeah, yeah. I'll see you next week for dinner, Kenzi. We both know you won't leave the house until then."

Laughing, Kenzi didn't deny it as she hurried to where her mom told her Jake would be. Her heartbeat thudded in her ears, matching the thump of her custom heels on the floor as she marched toward the man with his hands behind his back. His mouth curled into a soft smile he reserved only for her. He didn't run to her, leaving it up to her if she wanted to give the world a glimpse into their romantic life. Her joy was a potent thing as she ran to him, throwing herself at him, knowing he'd catch her. She didn't give it a second thought. She kissed him, fierce and hungry, his scratchy lips a delicacy she could never find anywhere else. After months of very little time together, all she wanted was to reacquaint herself with his body.