An Unidentified Emotion

Aaradhya's POV

The room felt emptier as he walked out, leaving behind an unsettling silence. His abrupt departure left me alone with my thoughts, each one more chaotic than the other. The vulnerability I had displayed in the dark corridors had now turned into a regretful burden, something I wished I could erase.

The truth was, I couldn't provide a straightforward answer even to myself. In the confined space of our interactions, emotions seemed to swirl, creating a whirlwind of confusion. The fear I experienced in the darkness, the instinct to reach out to him, it all clashed within myself.

Yet, there was a part of me that yearned for his understanding, for him to see beyond the facade I wore. The conflict within me intensified as I replayed the scene in the corridor. I questioned my decision to push him away, to categorize my vulnerability as a weakness.

The day unfurled with the weight of unexpected news— Savita Aunty revealed that they had chosen a girl for Rajveer, and the girl's family was en route to further solidify the alliance. Draped in a lavender saree, I was in the midst of getting ready when Ruhani Masi appeared without the courtesy of a knock. A smile involuntarily played on my lips, and I greeted her, "Good Morning Masi."

"Morning, beta. Do you need any help?"

"Um, I did, but where is Piya?" I inquired, my intention set on arranging my hair.

"Your husband  fired her. I don't know what happened, but he was very angry yesterday. And surprisingly, he approached me last night and asked me to be with you."

Is he out of his mind? How could he dismiss her like that?

"But Masi, it wasn't necessary—"

"It's fine, Aaru," she reassured as she began working on my hair. "You know, when I was pregnant with Dev, I really wanted him to be a daughter, but..." She sighed before continuing, aisi bhagwan ki marzi, par jab Dev chota tha humne bahut baar usse frocks aur uski choti choti chotiyan banaya karti thi aur fir vo bada hogaya. Par ab toh humare paas sach ki gudiya hai."

(It's all as per God's will, but when Dev was little, we used to make him wear frocks and little accessories. And now, we have a true doll in our midst.)

I couldn't help but smile at her compliment. Regardless of my husband's actions, I had indeed lucked out with my in-laws.

After Masi finished styling my hair, Rana Sa entered the room in his gym attire, his hair slightly damp from sweat, his physique partially visible through his white t-shirt, raising the temperature of my cheeks.

He's too attractive to be ignored.

I hastily averted my gaze from him, trying to avoid being caught staring. However, Ruhani Masi remarked, "Aaru, are you okay? Why are your cheeks red?"

Her comment caught me off guard, and I shook my head, responding, "No... nothing Masi, woh garmi bahut hai na."

(It's just really hot.)

"Hmm, aap dono thodi der mein niche ajayega, hum chalte hain."

(Hmm, both of you join us downstairs in a while; I will be leaving.)

"Ji, Masi," I replied.

As Masi exited the room, I rose from the dressing table, adjusting the pleats of my saree, when I almost collided with Rana Sa.

"Hey Matarani," I mumbled, taking a step back to create a safe distance.

"Do I look like I'll bite you if you come close?" he teased.

"What? No," I replied.

"Toh aap humesha ek kadam piche kyun leti hain jab bhi hum aapke pass aate hain," he asked, taking an intimidating step closer.