23. Liar

Wei WuXian stumbled upon landing in his bedroom at Lotus Pier. Teleportation was difficult enough when one was cultivating with spiritual energy. He had wrangled out a talisman that relied on resentful energy, but it wasn't perfected yet. The distance from Koi Tower to Lotus Pier was further than any previous attempt.

He was supposed to feel uncomfortable once again relying on resentful energy. After what he had done to Lan WangJi in their last session? I won't hurt you again, Lan Zhan. I will live without a Core rather than rely on causing you pain to gain one again. It had only been a small hurt, but.... If dual cultivation worked? If he was able to grow a Core again? How could he be so selfish? A Core wasn't worth putting his friend through agony. Wei WuXian completely ignored the little voice in his head that reminded him that Lan Zhan knew he was going to be in pain if they were successful and decided to do it anyway. Sometimes Lan Zhan doesn't know what he wants. For evidence, see every time we've kissed. How can he want to kiss me? I'm a man! He's a man! Yes, some men like to fool around with other men. Lan Zhan? If he was inclined like that, why would he pick me? Why not someone like.... Here he was stumped. He couldn't think of a single person who was actually good enough to be Lan Zhan's partner. Of course, Lan Zhan's partner would have to be handsome and smart and a good cultivator. He probably didn't need to find a rich partner, but someone who could bring political alliances would be a must. He certainly shouldn't be looking at a demonic cultivator who cheerfully lied about anything he felt like.

It made perfect sense for Wei Ying to want Lan Zhan; the man was pretty much the definition of male perfection. Both with clothes on and without. Wei WuXian firmly discarded the memories of their times being physical together, swished his skirts back into place, and left his room.

He'd just upset the leader of the LanlingJin. Well, not necessarily he, himself, had upset the sect leader. He just hadn't played along. And three other sect leaders had interceded on his behalf. That stupid Seal. I should destroy it before the Jin come looking for it again. The Seal itself was safely hidden in yet another box spelled to contain resentful energy and stored in the vault in the water below his room.

No Jin was ever going to find it. Not even Jiang Cheng or ShiJie knew the vault even existed.

A few sichen later, Jiang WanYin and a few non-Jiang flew in. "Wei WuXian!" the sect leader yelled. "What the fuck have you done this time?"

Wei WuXian shrugged in the torch light. He thought about suggesting that they move into a room, to make less noise, and thought better of it. Jiang Cheng might be less loud if we stay out here in the middle of the family housing section. "Probably not everything I'm accused of," he offered. "Most of it, maybe. Some of it, absolutely."

Jiang WanYin was not amused. "Who the fuck do you think you are? My parent? Who the fuck are you to make decisions about my life?"

Jiang YanLi stepped in between the two men as Jiang WanYin was reaching out to choke his disciple. "A'Cheng. Calm down. He had a good reason, I'm sure."

"Good reason?" Jiang WanYin glared at his sister. "What reason could he possibly have to make that decision for me? I'm going to kill you, Wei WuXian. I'm going to break your legs into tiny pieces and then murder you!"

"What decision did I make?" Wei WuXian honestly wasn't sure. He'd made so many that might send Jiang Cheng into a rage, both good and bad, over the last few years.

"Where is BaoShan SanRen's mountain? Tell me, right now, right here. No excuses."

"In Yilling," Wei WuXian recited mechanically. He forced himself to not look at Lan WangJi, even though he wanted to scream at the man. You told? I trusted you with my deepest secret.