Reasons Why

Ratta-tap-tap.

"Buzz off."

Ratta-tap-tap.

"Don't make me-"

Ratta-tap-tap.

"That's it!"

Gwen slammed her pen down on her desk, got up from her desk chair causing it to tip and fall backwards, then stormed over to the window. She fully intended to give Peter a piece of her mind for disturbing her studies, but as she laid eyes upon him, her expression softened. He was slumped down in the corner, with just his head peeking through the window. His brown doe-eyes were glassy amid several scrapes across his face, and upon reaching the window, she could see that his suit was torn in at least three places and his hand was pressed against his side. All it took was one look for her annoyance to melt away, replaced with something else.

"Can I come in?" He asked.

Without saying a word, Gwen slid the latch across and opened the window, allowing Peter to climb through. Instead, he tripped through, and she reached out to steady him before he could fall. She had many questions, but didn't bother to ask them. He didn't need to be interrogated.

"What's going on?" She didn't want to know, but she had to.

Peter stumbled over to the bed and silently asked for permission with his eyes, sitting down on the edge when she nodded. His head hung and he ran his fingers through his chocolate hair, not knowing where to start. She might not see him in such a good light after this, but he had come to her. It wouldn't be fair if he didn't give her an explanation.

"I'm sorry, Gwen. It's the middle of the night, you're busy and here I am, barging in here when we're not even together, and stealing your time." He rambled.

"Forget my time, forget my studies, that's not important." She insisted. "You look like Hell, but I can't do anything if you don't talk to me."

"Are you sure? I shouldn't be bringing this to you, it's not fair."

Gwen hesitated and then sat down next to him on the edge of the bed. She was no longer concerned about the time of night nor her studies, only with him, and whatever had happened.

"We might not be together right now, but it doesn't change how I feel and… even if things don't work out between us, I will always be here for you. Anything you tell me will stay between us and I'm not gonna turn my back just because things are complicated."

Peter lifted his head and turned to look at her. His eyes were wide and anything positive was vacant from his expression.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know where else to go. I don't wanna go home to Aunt May like this, she'll freak out and I- I-"

"Okay, stop." She cut in, afraid that he would slip into a panic attack if he continued. "Take a deep breath and then tell me what's going on."

With a nod, he inhaled deeply and then exhaled slowly. He didn't feel much better than before, but he was no longer panicking.

"I screwed up, Gwen." He admitted. "I screwed up badly."

"Huh… is that why you look like you've been partying with a pack of wolves and then thrown under a bus?"

He wanted to laugh at her joke, but he couldn't find it in him, not even able to manage a smile. Instead, he locked his eyes on hers and answered her question without saying a word.

"Oh… well, it's okay. We all make mistakes, it's nothing to lose sleep over."

"No." He refused. "I wish it was that simple, but it's not."