4

The evening brought a sudden lightning storm that drove everyone inside and cancelled a movie challenge that had been scheduled. Apparently the heavy rain and a bolt of lightning had taken out cameras, servers, and all the lights. And now the backup generators were flickering, making the lights come and go at odd intervals.

Rora loved the rain, and would have happily stayed outside, but they were forced indoors. The rest of the islanders ran off to change in candlelight as their evening clothes were soaked through, but she hadn't bothered. Her dress clung to her and her eye makeup was probably smeared around her eyes. She wasn't used to wearing a lot of the regular stuff, let alone the waterproof kind. She hadn't even considered that when she'd purchased the makeup she'd brought.

The villa was far too hot and stuffy and there was an awning anyhow, so Rora pushed the doors open, letting in whatever cool air she could. She sighed and leaned against the doorway. With every flash of lightning, she'd count the seconds until she heard the thunder and calculated. Seventeen kilometres away. Dammit, it was safe now. She could be outside playing in the rain if the producers weren't so paranoid.

She stayed in the doorway for a long time. People were rustling in the bedroom, so they were probably starting to settle in, even though there hadn't been a bedtime text yet.

"Oh ew ew ew, what is that thing?!" Hamish's voice, panicked and high, rose above the din of the bedroom. Rora rushed over. Everyone had gathered around his bed.

"I'm so sick of all these gross bugs," Ivy said. "I'll get a shoe."

Hamish was spinning in panicked circles mumbling about new sheets, and Amelia rubbed his back, her face expressionless.

"Wait," Lewie said, "Rora probably knows what it is. Roars, get over here."

She pushed her way between everyone and stared down at the messy bedding. The bee was relatively large and black with bright red bum.

"Why would Rora know?" Ozzy asked, his face twisted in confusion.

"Because she works at her parents' apiary?" Lewie said, his own confusion evident in his tone.

"Oh, yeah, right," Ozzy said, though he didn't look any less puzzled.

"What's a... whatever you said?" Flo asked.

"A bee rescue," Rora said. She ignored the ping of hurt she felt that Ozzy didn't remember what she did for a living.

Never hold onto someone intent on letting you go, lamb.

She repeated her mother's words in her head and pushed the hurt aside. Moving decisively, she dropped to her knees at the edge of the bed. "Hello there, friend," she said softly.

Grace hid behind Ozzy. "What is it?"

"A bumblebee."

Hamish stopped his flailing and let disgust seep into his face. "Some help you are. That giant black bug crawling on my bed is not a bee."

"Yes she is." Rora touched the sheet lightly and the bee sluggishly moved and then rested again. "She's a red tailed bumblebee. They're not that uncommon."

"Well, put it on the floor and squash it already," Amelia said.

Rora's chest constricted and she stared at her sister, incredulous. "You know better than that. We never kill bees!"

"Oh my god, Aurora, there's no need to get hysterical about it." She let out an amused chuckle and pressed her manicured hand to Lewie's bicep, giving it a squeeze. "She's so dramatic about bugs. Always has been." She levelled a patronising smile at Rora. "The world won't end because of one bee. The thing is dying anyway."