xiv. where should we start?

"Your plan failed," Haymitch snarled.

Haymitch, Plutarch, and Finnick were all gathered in the hovercraft, Finnick still looking half out of his mind and Haymitch looking outraged. The only one of the three that looked the calmest was Plutarch, who didn't seem to mind anything going around him.

"It was successful," said Plutarch. "Katniss is here. Getting the Mockingjay out was our plan from the beginning, in case you're not remembering."

"You're the one that's not remembering shit," Haymitch growled. "You promised me to get everyone out if I cooperated with you, and look at where they are now."

Plutarch sighed. "Look, Haymitch. There are always flaws to plans, and our main goal was Katniss. And we got her."

"And where is everyone else?" Haymitch demanded. "You lost everyone. Where's Peeta? Where's Johanna? Where's Devon? Where is Lucian?"

"I thought your relationship was weary," said Plutarch, avoiding the topic.

"Answer the question, Heavensbee!" Haymitch punched the table with his fist, and the table shook. "Where the hell is Nam Yoosung? You promised me he'd get out of there!"

"You know where he is."

Plutarch refused to answer directly, and Haymitch seethed and turned around, messing up his blond hair in anger. "You're disgusting. You fucking liar. I shouldn't have trusted you."

"Calm down, Haymitch. As much as I relate to you"—Finnick glared at Plutarch—"we need to calm down. How are we going to tell Katniss this?"

"She's going to lose it when she finds out about Peeta," said Haymitch, emphasizing Peeta's name.

Plutarch raised a brow, crossing his arms over his chest. "Will she still cooperate, though?"

"Without Peeta? There's no guarantee."

"Just tell her when ..."

Just as Finnick was about to say something, the door opened, and through came Katniss, a syringe in hand and her eyes darting side to side, trying to figure out the situation.

"Morning, sweetheart," Haymitch greeted, although the dark circles under his eyes and much paler face than before told a different story from his light tone.

Katniss lunged toward them with her syringe in hand, and Haymitch easily grabbed onto her wrists and wrestled her to the wall. Regardless of how young or strong she was, she had not been properly fed for a few days and went through a lot of injuries. Not only that, she was partially under drugs right now, which meant that she was no match for Haymitch, who had trained for months, been well-fed for the last few weeks, and still had his muscles in good use without any injuries.

"What are you doing with them?" Katniss choked out as she wrestled in the older man's grip.

"You and a syringe against the Capitol? See, this is why no one lets you make the plans," said Haymitch sarcastically, trying to get the syringe out of her hands.

Katniss noticed Finnick looking at her emptily. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Stop. Stop," said Finnick, holding out a hand, then looked around the room. "Just ... just listen."

Haymitch finally got the syringe out of her hands. "We couldn't tell you with Snow watching. It was too risky. Better for you to know nothing."

Katniss snarled and pushed Haymitch. "Where's Devon?"

"Now, Katniss ..." Plutarch intervened, his pale face looking blue in the light. "You have been our mission from the beginning. The plan was always to get you out. Half the tributes were in on it. This is the revolution. And you are the Mockingjay. And we're on our way to District 13 right now."