iii. the beginning

"That was stupid," stated Haymitch.

"I just cursed. I don't think that was stupid," retorted Devon as he held a bag of ice to his swollen head. "Ow!"

It stung where it got hit, and Devon winced as he accidentally brushed over the spot.

Devon had woken up a few hours after the Reaping and learned that he had passed out because of the hit he had taken to the head from the Peacekeepers.

So here he was now, sitting on his bed, trying to cool down his swollen head with Haymitch sitting across from him.

"New lesson: Don't fight against the Peacekeepers," said Haymitch.

"Thanks. Would've been nicer if you told me two hours ago," replied Devon sarcastically.

Haymitch sighed. "Who knew that'd happen?"

"Nobody."

An awkward silence fell between the two before Haymitch stood up. "Let's go to the kids. They're worried for you."

Devon snorted. "I doubt that."

***

"Okay, let's get to it," said Haymitch, clapping his hands as he entered the room with fake confidence.

In the room were Katniss and Peeta who were awkwardly listening to Effie talk before he and Devon barged in. As soon as they barged in, Katniss turned to them with an expression of pure relief and Peeta smiled slightly.

"You need better context," said Devon to Haymitch, not understanding what he was talking about. "Oh, and sorry for the interruption in your sweet time, sweetheart."

Katniss sighed and shook her head.

"Are you okay now?" asked Peeta, standing up from his seat.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine, baker boy. Take a seat, and let me hear Uncle Haymitch talk about what he means by this."

Devon stumbled over to the couch where the two were sitting and sat promptly next to Peeta, away from Katniss, which she rolled her eyes at.

Haymitch shrugged. "Alright. Before you woke up, we talked about getting allies. Katniss agreed—"

"You did?" Devon stared at Katniss incredulously.

"Yes," said Katniss.

"Don't cut off my words. And anyway, because of that, we're going to look at our fellow tributes."

"Alright," said Devon.

"Great," Haymitch stood up from his seat with a small remote in hand. "Let's go over them one by one," said Haymitch, clicking on the remote before the screen focused on classically beautiful siblings. "Cashmere and Gloss. Brother and sister. District 1. They won back-to-back Games. Capitol favorites. Lots of sponsors. Very lethal."

Once the screen changed to Two, a dark-skinned woman with fanged teeth and a tall man with soft features and olive skin appeared. Devon noticed Haymitch looking surprised and spoke first.

"Lucian's participating?" asked Devon.

"Yes. For the other half of the Career pack, we have Enobaria and Lucian Nam," said Haymitch.

Katniss frowned. "What's with her teeth?"

"She had them filed into fangs so she could rip people's throats out," answered Haymitch casually.

"She's committed. I'll give her that," said Peeta.

"She is. And ... well, Lucian Nam. 41. Although he doesn't look that old, won the Games right before Devon's. Lethal ... but arrogant."