Heat Waves - GN!Reader

Yes, this is very loosely based on the song. I don't care about what most people associate with it (but don't start debates or smth in the comments, please. I'm too tired), I'm using this song for Mike because I can't think of anything else when I hear it and I'm gonna make it y'all's problem too/lh

Mike's POV (technically).  There will be a time skip marked by –

The TV droned with some movie Abby had picked before he got home, acting as background noise while you and her drew on the ground in front of it. The occasional whisper and giggle is what kept him from fully focusing on the screen, mind unhelpfully providing theories about what you could be talking about that you didn't want him to hear.

You were just supposed to be the new babysitter. He hadn't expected to fall head over heels for you.

At first he figured it was just having a new person around the house so much. Since Max... disappeared, it had been hard to find a good babysitter. Then you moved in down the street and it felt like, suddenly, you were over every day. It started out just being an every other day thing, since you had a fairly steady day job, but then you switched to later shifts so you could fit more Abby time in your schedule after she'd confessed that you were her favorite babysitter. When you told him you'd worked your schedule around them so he wouldn't have to worry about other babysitters anymore, it felt like a dream. He'd been slowly gaining feelings already but he pin-pointed that moment as the moment he truly fell in love. Hard.

You'd made them a priority.

Since then, he'd been itching to tell you how he felt, even if it was to just get it over with, but he always stopped because he needed you to take care of Abby while he was at work. Every time he caught himself thinking about asking you on a date, he quickly shoved it down. It already felt like he was taking advantage of your kindness, he didn't want to make you uncomfortable by tangling his feelings into the situation. You weren't exactly being paid well for how much time you spent watching Abby now that school was out for the summer, surely your 'boss' confessing his feelings would be the breaking point. He'd been assured multiple times that pay didn't matter, that your job was enough since most people didn't want later shifts, but he still felt like he didn't deserve it. He didn't feel worthy of all your soft smiles, time, and care. You deserved better than him anyway.

"Mike." He snapped out of his head, realizing he had been staring at you. Abby giggled knowingly, but said nothing, going back to her drawing. You smiled softly, the same smile he'd seen so many times as you assured him about various things. "Something wrong?"

"Y- n- no, just thinking."

You hummed, expression shifting from playful to slightly worried, "Did your shift get changed...? You look like you're in a bad mood-"

"No, nothing changed, I'm just..." Desperately in love with you. "Just tired... Long shift."

You raised an eyebrow slightly, playful expression returning just a little bit, before you glanced at your watch. "Ah shhhoot." You slipped over the swear, earning a look from Abby as you stood and brushed yourself off. "I've gotta go get ready for work. They scheduled me a bit early today. We can finish our drawings next time I'm over, okay?"

Abby got up quickly, hugging you and fake whispering. "I'll put it in my room so Mike doesn't snoop."

"Wh- hey-" You just laughed softly and he was trying to decipher if it was from the comment or his reaction when you leaned down and whispered something in her ear before giving him a slightly mischievous look, picking up your jacket and bag from the table. "Oh, you're keeping secrets now, too?"

"Mhm. It's the babysitter rule. Abby gets to know my secrets as long as she doesn't tell you." You grinned down at him as you passed, gently patting his shoulder before moving to put your shoes on, unknowingly filling Mike's stomach with butterflies. Abby giggled and dashed off to her room with your drawing, obviously up to something. As soon as she was out of the room, you stepped back into his immediate line of sight. "It's nothing bad, don't worry. She just likes knowing things."

"Mm, that's not ominous."

"I try." Your grin widened slightly before you went to open the door, "G'bye, Mike."

With that, you were gone. Mike leaned forward, burying his face in his hands and cursing himself for how strongly he reacted to the smallest gestures. He huffed and stood up after running a hand through his hair, deciding he didn't want Abby seeing and potentially giving it away to you before he was ready (if she hadn't already). Besides, he really was tired and he could afford a quick nap before making dinner.

"Sorry, I'm... late." Mike hesitated as he stepped through the door, glancing at the couch and feeling his heart twist gently at the sight of you asleep. His shift had gone longer than usual, leaving you with Abby longer, but you'd assured him it was fine since you didn't have anything happening today. He set his things down, walking down the hall to check on Abby. She was sound asleep, curled up under her blankets. He nodded to himself, moving back to the living room and feeling the familiar flutter in his chest. Usually you'd be awake to talk to him when he got home, which he appreciated (even if he wasn't much for talking), but something about seeing you sleeping peacefully on the couch wormed its way into his brain.

You hummed and shifted in your sleep, trying to get comfortable before your eyes opened, grumbling softly and rubbing your face. Your eyes met his for a second, sitting up straighter as you registered him being there. "Hey- hi... uhm... how long have you been home?"

"Not long..." He made his way over to the couch, sitting near you after you'd shifted over for him. He attempted teasing, eyes never leaving your face, "Usually you're still awake when I get home."

"Usually you're not asked to stay late," you rolled your eyes playfully, yawning and stretching your arms up with a slight popping noise. You settled back against the couch, fingers tapping on your leg before you moved to get up. "I should get going-"

"Stay-" His own voice surprised him, shaking slightly as he swallowed nervously at the surprised look on your face. "P- please..."

Your eyes searched his face, settling into the couch again as your expression turned worried. "Mike, is- is something wrong?"

He sighed, hands fidgeting in his lap slightly as he looked away. "I- I don't-" His attention snapped downward at the feeling of your hand on his, settling the fidgeting. He looked back up at you, heart pounding at the touch and the fact that you'd gotten closer, smiling at him.

"You don't have to tell me anything, we can just sit here if you want."

Something in his chest squeezed at the care in your voice, mouth moving faster than his brain for once in his life, mumbling, "What if I want more..?" He realized his mistake immediately, pulling back as his heart pounded, "Sorry, I didn't-"

"Mike-"

He stood, giving you space, "I can find another babysitter, I-"

"Michael." Your soft, but firm tone snapped him out of the panic, suddenly painfully aware of your hand on his cheek as his senses seemed to go haywire from the simple touch. Your thumb rubbed his cheek gently as you smiled softly, causing his heart to jump into his throat for a second. "If you're admitting you have feelings, I feel the same."

"You- you do...?" It didn't feel real, even as you nodded. "But I'm not-"

"Not what?" You hummed, making his stomach twist.

"You deserve more..." he mumbled, gently holding your wrist to pull your hand away, looking down. He couldn't handle the amount of love in your eyes.

"Mike... please look at me," you pleaded, both hands cupping his face before he reluctantly met your gaze. "Don't sell yourself so short... you're worth so much more than you realize. And I'm going to remind you of that every chance I get, if you'll let me."

His heart caught in his throat again, squeezing your wrist gently before he whispered, "Can I kiss you...?" You nodded, letting him set his hands on your waist before pulling you in, relaxing against you when you kissed him back. His hands were hesitant. Unsure. But it didn't seem to matter much when he pulled back, sighing softly and mumbling, "I've wanted to tell you for so long..."

You hummed, smiling lovingly, "Well now you can... as much as you'd like."

He laughed under his breath, "I definitely will."