Accidental Sleepover - GN!Reader

You groaned softly at the sunlight hitting your face, scolding yourself for forgetting to close your curtains last night. Until you registered that you weren't in bed, but on a couch. In the Schmidts' living room. When your sleepy brain caught up more, you realized there was the soft sizzling of food from the kitchen. You sat up, rubbing your eyes and stretching your sore neck. You glanced at the blanket that fell off you, trying to remember if you'd had it on when you fell asleep or not.

Mike stepped around the corner from the kitchen, hair still sleep-mussed and in his sweats. "Sleep well?"

"I- y- yeah..." You swung your legs down, . "Why'd you let me stay...?"

His jaw clenched for a second before he shrugged. "I was tired and you seemed comfortable." He disappeared back into the kitchen, sizzling increasing for a second. "I'm making pancakes if you want any."

You felt your brain buffer for a second, trying to process what was happening. Once your thoughts were working properly, your stomach grumbled softly. "Two is good, thank you." He hummed from the kitchen, which you took as confirmation before glancing around the living room. You remembered watching TV before falling asleep, but the remote wasn't anywhere near the couch. You actually spotted it by the armchair, slowly putting the pieces together.

"Mike...?" You got up from the couch, making your way to the dining room to lean through the window connected to the kitchen. He grunted softly, glancing at you over his shoulder to signal he was listening. "Did you put the blanket over me last night?"

"Mhm." He set some pancakes on a plate, turning around and handing it to you. "Is that an issue...?"

"No, not at all! Just... curious, I guess." You smiled shyly, taking the plate with a soft 'thank you' and sitting at a spot at the table where you could still see him. His head bobbed slightly as he worked, like he was hearing music you couldn't, and you couldn't help but wonder what it was before being snapped out of it by Mike clearing his throat. The ghost of a smirk passed over his face as he leaned against the counter in the window.

"Your pancakes are getting cold." And with that, he turned back around just as you heard a door open down the hall, leaning over and waving sheepishly at Abby as she emerged, rubbing her eyes.

". . . Why are you here...?" You knew she wasn't being rude, she was a kid and also just waking up. Most kids don't have much of a filter to begin with.

"I uh... fell asleep on the couch."

"Huh." She climbed into the seat next to you, leaning her head on her hands. "M'kay..."

You poured syrup over your pancakes, taking your first bite as her eyes drifted closed. Her head nearly hit the table before she woke up, Mike coming around from the kitchen to put a plate in front of her and press a quick kiss to the top of her head with a mumbled 'good morning' that she returned shortly after. You glanced at the clock as you ate, inhaling sharply at the time. 12:16. Mike gave you a look as he sat down, one of his eyebrows raised slightly. "I- I just- I've never really slept in this late since I started working more..."

He looked at the clock, humming softly with a shrug. "'S the weekend. I don't have a shift today..." His eyes flicked to yours, suddenly worried. "Did you have-"

"No, no, I don't have anything. I only pick up weekends when I really need to..." You hummed, smiling softly. "And even if I did, it's not your job to know that or take care of it."

He seemed to search your face for a second before nodding, focus moving back to his pancakes. Abby, who'd scarfed her pancakes down as you spoke, looked up at you, gently nudging your knee under the table as best she could. "So are you staying with us all day?"