Leo | 獅子座

Instantly, a golden light surrounded her body, the sound of clocks striking reverberating throughout the island, and just as quickly as it appeared, the glow faded, leaving Lucy to gently put the key back into her pouch, smiling at the silhouette of a man who appeared out of the glow.

Out of all her Spirits, Loke is by far the most normal looking (and acting). Sure, she was trying to prove what she was saying was true but she didn't want to dump Aquarius or Taurus on them yet. She knew they could be a bit... eccentric and for people who had no clue what to expect, she wanted to give them a somewhat normal first experience with a Spirit.

She clenched her hands together, trying as hard as possible to not seem nervous.

She can do this.

She has to.

- - - - -

Out of the light came a man.

While it was still fading, all that could be seen was his silhouette and nothing more, but after their eyes adjusted to the brightness, they were able to see him much more clearly.

At a glance, he easily passed for a normal person, save for his strange attire, but looking at him closely, it was hard to miss the large cat ears that blended in alarmingly well with the rest of his hair and, how as soon as he was fully visible, he bowed to Lucy.

"Princess," he greeted serenely, ignoring everyone else.

Princess? She never mentioned that she was some kind of royalty.

She didn't bother correcting him though, furthering their theory that there was still something she wasn't telling them, and then pulled him into a big hug. He didn't seem to be expecting this, as his arms hung uselessly in the air and a stunned expression washed over his face, but after a second, his features softened and he returned the hug with just as much vigour as her.

Then, she whispered something to him but due to how quiet she was, no one except him was able to hear what she was saying, all of them only able to tell what was happening from the subtle shift in facial expressions.

Finally, after what felt like forever, the... Spirit broke away from the hug and finally acknowledged the existence of people other than Lucy.

"It's an honour to finally meet you," he gave a much shallower bow compared to the one he gave Lucy, "I've heard so much about you." Piercing hazel eyes bore into Kouen through blue tinted glasses. "I am Leo, leader of the twelve Zodiac Spirits and," he added with a slight smirk, "my princess' loyal protector."

Leo didn't say anything else, silently retreating back to Lucy's side after the briefest introduction he could give.

No one said anything in response to him, too stunned to speak, allowing a tense silence to encase them all.

"You're the one I saw that day." Morgiana eventually breathed out, the least shocked out of everyone.

"Morgiana, I presume?" She gave a quick nod of confirmation. "You're right, I was the one you saw that day—I was there to send a letter on behalf of my princess." He quickly added, noticing how she was about to ask something else.

"Hold on." A voice cut in. "Does this mean everything Lucy has been saying is true? All of it? Then—Then why has she hid it for so long?!"

Both Kouen and Loke glared at the person who asked the question, ready to argue that she didn't even have to tell them anything.

"Guys, it's fine." Lucy cut in. "I'm... alright to answer these questions. I knew someone was going to ask it. I," she breathed in then out, "didn't exactly leave Fairy Tail on the best of terms and... and," deep breath in, deep breath out, "I was hoping to never have to bring them up again." She didn't elaborate any further and she hoped no one would ask her to explain why. Remembering everything that happened is still something she wants to avoid doing at all costs and thankfully, for once, no one asked anything more.

(It might've been because of the way she averted her eyes and clenched the fabric of her clothes that made everyone realize just how little she wished to ever recall that and for a lot of them who've been through something similar, they understood why.)

"Okay," Sinbad easily took control of the conversation. "Since everything you said is somehow true, then the reason why only you can see the dungeon is because you're a member? An ex-member? Of Fairy Tail, right."

She nodded hesitantly.

"Which means... none of us will be able to go into the dungeon with you, seeing as we just pass right by it."

She nodded again.

"So, you are going to have to traverse the dungeon all by yourself. Without a Magi."

She didn't nod this time, looking conflicted about how to respond. Eventually, she decided on the most straightforward answer she could think of.

"I am the only one who can see it. And besides," she gave a shaky smile, "we can't have come all this way for nothing. I'm sure I'll be fine, I do have my Spirits after all."

Sinbad, no matter how much he hated to admit it, couldn't help but agree with her. They did come here to deal with this mysterious dungeon and though they know why they can't see it, they still don't know how it got here or if it poses any kind of danger to them, and since they—again—can't see it, Lucy is the only one who has the means to traverse it.

But it didn't sit right with him, sending her in there all by herself when she very clearly doesn't want to go and has no experience with dungeons. He should disagree with her, argue how it doesn't matter if she's the only one who can see it, that they can find another way to get in—

"I agree, Lucy. Just... be careful in there."

Sinbad spun his head around so hard it almost hurt, glaring questioningly at Kouen's absurd remark.

"You're okay with her going in there without any help—what's wrong with you?!" He hissed, affronted at his casual response. Kouen even had the gall to not even look the slightest bit guilty at giving Lucy (what looked to him as) a death sentence.

"Based on what she's said, we won't be able to help her in any way, so the least we can do is trust in her abilities and wait for her."

"So you're just going to give up and let her go alone?!"

"She's not going to be alone," Loke cut in, "she's never going to be alone, not with us around, and even if we weren't, she's stronger and more resilient than you can ever imagine. If she sets her mind to it, she will succeed, I can guarantee it." That is, after all, how she saved him in the first place.

"You too?! Aren't you supposed to be her protector or something?!"

"I am, and I'd do anything she'd ask of me, but I also have faith in her. Something you should too."

Against both Kouen and Loke's threatening glares, he eventually conceded.

"Fine," he grit out with as much distaste as possible.

Lucy, realizing the end of their argument was her cue to do something, brought everyone's attention back to her. "Alright, now that we're all in agreement, I should..." Lucy took more deep breaths to keep herself calm. She's refuses to back down now. Glancing up to take in the entirety of the dungeon as a whole, she steadied her rapidly beating heart and took one step forward, then another, and another until she made it to the base of the intimidating stairwell.

And then, with one final glance back at Kouen's look of reassurance, she climbed the first step.

————————
A/N: I do not like this chapter at all but this is the rewrite I hate less than the others so this is the rewrite I'm posting because I doubt I'd be able to write this chapter in a way that I actually like. But though I don't particularly like how it turned out, I hope you sorta liked it :)