Chapter 1: Headlines and Other Communications

28 August 1994
From the Daily Prophet

Chaos at Quidditch World Cup!
Historic Irish Victory Over Bulgaria
Overshadowed By Unprecedented Violence!

By Andrew Smudgley

By rights, Ireland's 170-160 win over the Bulgarians after a brutal four-hour match should be the story of the day. Tragically, the victory of our plucky Irish cousins was overshadowed by violence unprecedented in World Cup history and unseen on these shores since the fall of You-Know-Who. (Full coverage of the final match itself can be found in the Daily Prophet's sports section.)

Just after midnight, approximately two hours after the conclusion of the final match, the campgrounds surrounding the stadium were attacked by parties that have not been conclusively identified. Indeed, based on the confusing testimonies from eyewitnesses, it is possible that more than one group may have attacked the Cup for unrelated purposes. According to the preliminary reports issued by the Ministry, the attack began with the activation of a powerful jinx that covered the entire campsite and that blocked both Apparition and Portkeys. Or at least Apparition and Portkeys by the victims, as the attackers seemingly could use such magic at will. Ministry officials have offered no comment on claims that the jinx was linked to enchanted guidestones previously installed under the supervision of Ministry employee Bertha Jorkins. (See companion story on page A-9: "Missing Ministry Employee Connected to Cup Attacks?")

The appearance of the attackers seemed to vary by location. Those who attacked the Australian, Luxembourger, Bulgarian, and French sections were reportedly dressed in costumes designed to emulate those worn by members of the Death Eater Insurgency that ended in 1981. However, those who attacked the Irish, Scottish, Welsh, and English sectors were clearly attired in Australian Quidditch jerseys and masks. Oddly, some witnesses claimed that the Australians were actually wearing Death Eater costumes even though the majority of witnesses correctly identified the attackers as wearing Australian nationalist attire. Ministry spokes-wizards could not account for such discrepancies, and the Australian government categorically denies that any Australians were involved in the disturbance, which the Australians blame entirely on British blood-purist agitators. Thus far, no organization or government has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Regardless of its origin, perhaps the most disturbing detail about the incident is that the attackers who targeted the Australian sector were accompanied by partially transformed werewolves! Miraculously, no reports have been issued suggesting that anyone injured by the werewolves has contracted lycanthropy. If you or a loved one suffered a bite or claw attack at during the violence last night, we at the Daily Prophet urge you to seek treatment at St. Mungo's immediately.

Luckily, while several dozen attackers struck all across the Cup campsite, only twenty-three fatalities have been announced so far out of the tens of thousands of attendees, and the only British fatality whose name has been released by the Ministry was retired hit wizard Durwood Gibbon. But while fatalities were comparatively low, well over 400 wizards and witches suffered injuries, many of them serious. The low death toll can be attributed to the superlative work of the Healers at St. Mungo's, work which, according to some rumors, was aided by an unidentified Parselmouth who was on hand to use healing spells augmented by that traditionally Dark talent. Officially, the administration of St. Mungo's denies the rumors about a Parselmouth able to work medical miracles through the application of "Parselmagic," but this reporter has confirmed that Jim Potter, the Boy-Who-Lived and a known Parselmouth, was present at St. Mungo's. Can it be that we can add "miracle healer" to the list of accolades young Jim has earned?

(See companion story "Unidentified Parselmouth Performs Medical Miracles!" on page A-5.)

Dan Granger's Apartment
London
2:00 p.m.