Chapter 37: What's Past Is Prologue (pt 1)

THE PRESENT
The Hogwarts Infirmary
13 February 1994, 9:55 p.m.

With a look of grave concern, Albus Dumbledore swept into the infirmary and took in the scene. His Potions Master was lying on a hospital bed, unconscious and with a trickle of dried blood stretching out his left nostril and down the side of his face. Madam Pomfrey leaned over him while casting diagnostic Charms with her usual professionalism. Several feet away stood Harry Potter whose expression was also pensive despite the self-control the boy's Occlumency normally provided.

"What has happened here?" the Headmaster asked.

"I'm still doing diagnostics, Headmaster," said the matron without looking up. "Ask Mr. Potter."

Dumbledore looked at Harry expectantly. The boy moved closer to him and spoke quietly.

"I was ... investigating that matter regarding the Caretaker you wanted me to look into, and I learned of the incident involving Professor Snape and the Shrieking Shack from when he was a student."

Albus's eyes widened as the boy continued.

"I persuaded Professor Snape to let me see his actual memory of the incident but ... sir, that memory was false! I still don't know what happened at the Shrieking Shack, but I don't think it involved my father saving the Professor from a werewolf at all! Anyway, I showed my findings to the Professor, but then he told me to exit the memory. I did ... and then, about fifteen seconds later, Professor Snape came out screaming in pain with blood dripping down his nose before he collapsed. I contacted Madam Pomfrey through the Floo in his office and helped her bring him here. That was just a few minutes ago."

"Did ... did he say anything, Harry?" The boy shook his head.

Then, the matron spoke up.

"It seems to be some sort of psychic damage, apparently self-inflicted. It's quite similar to the injury that put young Potter here in a coma for several days last term, though thankfully not as severe. I believe he will recover, but he will likely be in a healing coma for some time. A day or two at least."

The Headmaster nodded gravely. "Thank you, Poppy. Mr. Potter, it's almost curfew. You'd best be off to bed. I will have a report on Professor Snape's condition delivered to your House in the morning through your prefects."

Accepting the dismissal, Harry nodded respectfully and left the infirmary. Dumbledore watched him as he left before turning back to Madam Pomfrey.

"Poppy, if there is any change, send word to me at once, no matter what the hour."

"As you wish, Headmaster."

Albus studied the face of the unconscious Snape, a face which looked so much more peaceful in sleep than it ever appeared when he was awake. Feeling the weight of his age, the old wizard made his way back to his office before sending his Patronus out with a message to deliver. Then, the Headmaster made his way to a hidden alcove containing a Pensieve. He took a few moments to place several highly relevant memories into the bowl before leaning forward to look inside. It was time to face his role in how Severus had come to this point.

For the Greater Good.

THE PAST
10 March 1971
The Basement of the Lupin Residence

With a soft groan, the boy awoke in his cage and sat up. Once fully awake, he gasped and looked around wildly before sighing loudly in relief. He was naked, starving, covered in painful scratches, and locked up all alone in a heavy and magically reinforced metal cage in a dark and dingy basement. All was right with the world.

After a few minutes spent catching his breath, the boy gingerly reached through the bars to grasp a chain hanging from a bell suspended from the ceiling. As he did, he winced in pain from the scratches, a sign of the Monster's displeasure. Virtually the only thing little Remus Lupin ever remembered from his time as the Monster was the knowledge of how much it hated him for not giving in. How much it wanted him to stop loving his mum and dad. How much it wanted him to eat his mum and dad instead.