Chapter 4

As the last week of term unfolded, an unspoken tension settled over Regulus Black. The impending holidays loomed like a dark cloud, casting a shadow over the joyous atmosphere of Gryffindor Tower. Unlike his friends, Regulus dreaded the thought of returning home. A recent owl from his mother carried with it the heavy burden of disappointment, the ink on the parchment dripping with disapproval for his Gryffindor affiliation.

The common room, once a haven of laughter and camaraderie, now seemed a little colder to Regulus. He couldn't fathom how Sirius could wear his indifference like armor, shielding himself from the expectations and prejudices of their pure-blood lineage. But as he observed his elder brother, he understood the reason for Sirius's defiance.

The previous year's Sorting Hat ceremony had marked a turning point for the Black family. When Sirius was sorted into Gryffindor, the ideals instilled in them since childhood took on a personal sting. The whispered words of "blood-traitors," "mudbloods," and "halfbreeds" were no longer distant concepts but had faces and names—faces and names of the friends Sirius had chosen. They were now Regulus's friends too, a fact he couldn't ignore.

His brother's friends became his comrades, and Regulus couldn't bear the thought of his parents tarnishing their names with their biased rhetoric. The very people his parents disparaged were the ones who had embraced him with open arms, disregarding his surname and accepting him into their fold. Gryffindors, Hufflepuffs, Ravenclaws—they were all part of a family that had nothing to do with blood status.

As Regulus packed his belongings for the holiday break, a sense of trepidation hung in the air. Two weeks at home meant navigating the labyrinth of familial expectations, dodging the disapproving glares, and enduring the thinly veiled insults. Yet, in the depths of his apprehension, there was a glimmer of solace. He had his brother, Sirius, who had paved the way for rebellion, and he had the friends who had become his second family.

The Marauders had become a shield against the onslaught of prejudice, a buffer against the toxicity that awaited him at Grimmauld Place. No matter what transpired during the holidays, Regulus found comfort in the knowledge that he had allies who would stand beside him. The bonds forged within the stone walls of Hogwarts were stronger than any family name or ancestral expectation.

So, as the Hogwarts Express loomed on the horizon, ready to transport students to their respective homes, Regulus Black took a deep breath, steeling himself for the challenges that lay ahead. The Marauders, his unconventional family, were by his side, and he would face whatever awaited him with the courage that came from true friendship.

The Hogwarts Express rattled and hummed as it sped through the picturesque English countryside, carrying its cargo of students toward the eagerly awaited winter holidays. In one compartment, bathed in the soft glow of the setting sun, sat the second-year Gryffindors—James, Sirius, Remus, Peter—and their unexpected companion, Regulus Black.

As the train's rhythmic clatter provided a backdrop to their conversation, the Marauders exchanged mischievous glances, already plotting the adventures that awaited them beyond the castle walls.

James, always the instigator, grinned at Regulus. "So, Reg, any big plans for the hols? Going to teach your parents the fine art of Gryffindor bravery?"

Regulus smirked, a rare expression for the typically reserved younger Black brother. "Well, I might give it a shot. See how they like a little dose of courage with their Christmas pudding."

Sirius nudged him playfully. "That's the spirit, Reg! Show them what a real wizard is made of."

Remus, the voice of reason, chimed in, "Just be careful. We don't want any of our Slytherin mates ambushing you in the dark corridors of Grimmauld Place."