Chapter 20

Ensley's POV:

Three days have passed since I last saw Celestine and we haven't really talked aside from short texts here and there all about the Exhibit. I don't have the energy to think about her as later tonight is my flight to Paris.

I woke up to my phone ringing. I pick it up on the third ring when I figured it wouldn't stop on its own, seeing Celestine's name flash across the screen. "Hey Celestine, what's up?" I greet her groggily, wondering why she's calling me so early in the morning.

"Good morning, Ensley. Did I wake you?"

"It's fine." I replied, yawning.

"I just wanted to remind you about our meeting tomorrow." Celestine says, getting straight to the point as she always does.

My heart sinks a little as I remember the meeting. I had completely forgotten about it. "Oh, Celestine, I'm so sorry. I don't think I can make it," I tell her, feeling guilty.

"What do you mean? It's important that we finalize everything before the exhibit opens," Celestine says, confused.

"I know, I know. But something came up last minute and I won't be in town," I explain, not wanting to go into the details of my pending trip to Paris.

Silence fills the line for a few seconds before Celestine speaks up again. "Well, can't you just reschedule your trip or something? We have 2 weeks left Ens" she says.

"I wish I could, Ce, but it's a business trip and just as important as this Exhibit. But don't worry, Nox will be able to go in my place, she knows everything I do." I assure her, hoping to ease her worries.

There's a pause on the line before Celestine sighs. "Okay...but where are you going?" she asks.

"Just a business trip." I replied, acting coy.

"Where Ens?" Celestine asks again.

I couldn't help the smile that formed on my face hearing her sound adorable. "Wouldn't you like to know."

"Ensley...come on!"

I chuckled and replied, "alright alright, I'm going to Paris."

"Oh."

"Oh? What do you mean?" I asked.

"Well, Paris..." Celestine trails off, her voice filled with a mix of emotions. "That's a pretty romantic city, who are you going with? When are you leaving?"

"No one special, it's just a business trip. And I'm leaving tonight," I tell her.

"Ah, I see," Celestine says, although I can sense a hint of skepticism in her tone. "Well, I hope you enjoy your trip. When will you come back?"

"Don't worry, Celestine. I'll make sure Nox is prepared and I'll be back in 4 days," I reassure her.

"Good. Just don't forget about me while you're exploring the City of Love," Celestine says, a teasing lilt in her voice.

"I won't, I promise," I say, feeling grateful for her understanding. "And I'll bring you back a croissant or something," I add with a smile.

Celestine laughs. "I'll hold you to it. Take care, Ensley."

"You too, Celestine," I say before ending the call.

——————————-xx————————-xx—————————-

Later that night...

I was startled when I heard the knock on my door. I had called a cab but it's too early for it to arrive and I wasn't expecting anyone, especially not Celestine. "Celestine, what are you doing here?" I asked her, a hint of confusion in my voice.