Moments (2)

--HAARIKA'S POV--

I slowly opened my eyes to find myself in a car. It was raining and thundering outside but that didn't make me worry. Instead, I found myself wondering how I ended up here. I turned my attention to the person driving the car. "How did I get here?" I asked, but he didn't look in my direction. "You sleepwalked here," he replied sarcastically. "I don't sleepwalk. Did you bring me here?" I asked, feeling confused. He turned the steering wheel to the left and the rain droplets fell on the windshield. The wipers wiped them off, allowing Maahir to see the road. "You aren't in a condition to question Mrs. Singhania" he said finally. "Not after what you did today." I narrowed my eyes, trying to remember what he was talking about. "I don't remember doing anything wrong," I replied. "Right. You don't," he said in a sarcastic tone. Throughout the entire conversation, he kept his eyes fixed on the road, but his words dripped with anger. "You were supposed to go to your parents' house, but instead, you went to some different place? I don't mind that place at all, but shouldn't you have informed your parents, or even Dida or me?" He looked at me for a second, then turned his deadly gaze back to the road. "And why do you think I should inform you or anyone about my whereabouts?" As far as I remember, it's a contract marriage, and I'm not responsible for informing him about my whereabouts. "For the world, we are a couple, but for us, we will never be one. Isn't that, right?" That's what he said last night. Then why the hell is he angry that I didn't inform him? Bipolar idiot. "Why are you so worried about me, Maahir Singhania?" My head is pounding due to the tears I shed during my emotional breakdown. "Because you are my responsibility and I am a very responsible man," he said through clenched teeth. "Right, very responsible" I responded sarcastically as he pulled over to the side of the road. I glanced outside the car window to determine our location, before he could speak, I interrupted him. "I'm not desperate for a ride in your car. You don't have to pretend to care for me like everyone else," I said as I released my seat belt, opened the door, stepped out into the rain, and slammed the door shut. Why do I keep getting involved with this guy? He's so unpredictable - sometimes sweet, sometimes salty. Isn't my family enough for this job? I don't care about anything anymore because we don't have a future, but this guy has taken over my thoughts. One thing is for sure: I'm in a really bad place right now. Tears are streaming down my face, mixing with the raindrops. I don't know what to do. Why am I crying again? I dig my nails into my palm, wishing they would bleed so I could feel something other than these unnamed emotions. I didn't even notice that the rain had stopped touching me and that something warm was on my hand. It was his hand. As soon as he touched me, my nails stopped digging into my skin, as if his touch had a calming effect on me. I look up to see Maahir holding an umbrella over us, speaking to me, but I can't hear him. I'm too lost in my own thoughts. Should I tell him how I'm feeling? No, we're not a normal couple, so how can I expect myself to open up to him? No way. Black spots begin to form in front of my eyes. I blink a few times and suddenly I could hear him Loud and clear. "I want to apologize for what I said earlier. I wasn't in the right state of mind, and I genuinely cared about your well-being. I'm not just saying this to pretend, Haarika," he said calmly, his eyes showing a softness I had seen glimpses of before. Rain had soaked the left side of his shirt as it was outside the protection of the umbrella. Meanwhile, I was completely drenched, my saree clinging to my skin like a part of my body rather than a piece of cloth. "Let's go home," he said, and I nodded. I quickly got into the car and the only thing I could say was "I'm sorry." "I'm sorry for making you worry and causing a scene," I added, but he didn't say a word or look at me. After turning on the engine, he turned on the heater. "Your bag is in the back seat," he said, and I nodded. Looking at my palms, I noticed red lines from my nails digging in. If he hadn't stopped me, I'm sure they would have bled, mixing with my tears and the rainwater. I hugged my upper body and looked out the window, trying to keep from crying. I wanted someone to hold me and comfort me, but I didn't expect anything from humans. Neither of us spoke for the past 20 minutes, and the rain had already stopped. I looked at Maahir, expecting him to be angry, but there was no trace of anger on his face.