First Day

--HAARIKA'S POV--

"You must be kidding me. Right?" Sid shook his head, giggling, while I looked at the red silk saree. "Bhabhs, you have to wear this," he said as he sat on the bed. "But Sid, I don't know how to wear a saree." I never thought I would be in this situation. "That's a small issue bhabhs, I will call Dida, she can help you," he replied as he tried to drag me along. "No no no, please don't," I held his arm. "Trust me, she won't say anything to you." He kept dragging me while I tried to stop him. "Are you two playing tug of war?" We froze in place as Dida entered the room. "Dida, I was coming for your help, but it's good you came already," I nervously laughed. She turned her attention towards me. "Haarika, why aren't you ready already?" Just when I opened my mouth to speak, Sid interrupted. "Actually, Didaaa, bhabhs doesn't know how to wear a saree," and my eyes met the ground. "That's a small issue, I will help you bacche," she said with a warm smile. After I wore the blouse and shapewear, Dida helped me wear the saree. "I heard you are done with MBBS, so what's your plan?" She asked as she was doing plates. I nodded. "Yes, I am an aspiring gynecologist." She smiled and looked at me. "That's cool, and I am proud of you." My reflex action was quick, and I replied with a confused "Huh?" I had never heard those words from my mother before, but now someone I barely knew was saying them to me. "I am actually proud of you, Haarika," Dida told me. She was unique from everyone else just like my grandma. I opened my mouth to respond but was interrupted by a phone call. I saw that it was my mother calling and sighed before turning off the screen. "You should talk to her," Dida suggested. But I didn't want to. "I was 5 years old when I began living with my grandparents. I stayed with them until I completed my high school and then shifted to my hostel. So, I never lived with my parents and my mother never made me wear a saree," I explained. "Tug it inside," she instructed me as she helped me with my saree. "You look pretty like a doll. Your mother might be worried about you. You should talk to her because a mother can never think bad about her child." I smiled, considering whether or not I should call my mother. "Thanks, Didaa," I said before she disappeared. Looking at myself in the mirror, I realized that I had forgotten to apply vermilion on my forehead. I picked up the vermilion box, took a pinch, and applied it. Even though this marriage was a contract, I respected the culture a lot and didn't want to hurt anyone's sentiments.

TIME SKIP

"You need to make something sweet for breakfast," Dida told me. I nodded, feeling a bit nervous. I didn't know how to cook anything sweet except for Kheer, which my Dadi had taught me during vacations. "Beta Haarika, don't worry; just prepare something sweet for breakfast. We have a chef who will take care of the rest," said Dida, reassuringly. I nodded gratefully at her. "Come, I will lead you to the kitchen," said Sid, leading the way. Just then, a notification popped on my phone. It was Roohan.

ROOHAN: - "Di, are you okay? Comfortable there?"

HAARIKA: - "Yeah, all comfortable. I will talk to you later. I need to go for rituals. Bye."

I turned off the screen of my phone. "This is our kitchen," said Sid, as we reached the kitchen. I nodded, already knowing where it was from my previous visit when I had late-night snacks with Maahir. "I am leaving now, and if you need any help, he will assist you." Dida pointed towards the chef who was nearly in his late 40s, passing us a beautiful smile. "Okay, " I said, watching her leave. I started making Kheer by boiling the milk. The Chef helped me with tasting and all. Finally, I was done with my Kheer, and it was time to serve.