Chapter 2: Sweet voice

"Hurts.. hurts.", Leslie echoed to himself as he sat on his bed in the far corner of his room, alone while the night went on. The time passed as he stayed awake by force of habit with the all night experiments that were a normal to him now. Just then he heard the faint sound of a melody of some sort of tune he was not familiar with. The longer he listened the quieter it got as if wherever this tune was coming from was being quieted or slowly being turned off. But, what if it was a person? The voice sounded very faint and light, filled with pink softness as he thought based on the colors he normally writes with, pink was the color he thought of while he listened to this. It sounded like, the voice of a girl, a nurse maybe? Leslie wasn't sure where the noise was coming from but as he sat agasint the wall on his bed, listening to the voice slowly fade. He could feel vibrations through the wall behind him, softly laying his hand against it, the vibrations softly ended as the voice stopped as well. Whoever it was, was on the other side of this wall, and Leslie was determined to find the means of this sweet melody that shortly after ending, let him actually sleep for the first time in a long time.

The next morning, Dr. Jimenez strolled his way to his patient, Leslie Withers', room. Just as he was about to knock, he heard the faint noise of what sounded like snoring. This noise had never emitted from Leslie's room often at all, he normally doesn't sleep too much due to multiple reasons and things, but to hear this, it almost worried the doctor. Slowly and quiety pushing the door open, he looked toward Leslie's bed to see, lying there, a sleeping Leslie with the expression of peace and serenity. With hesitation, Dr. Jimenez softly waltzed over to the young man and softly nudged his shoulder, trying not to be too forceful but enough to possibly wake him. Almost instantly Leslie jolted awake and looked up at his guide with confusion and almost slight panic. Leslie never slept, so where did the time go? How long was he asleep? /Why/ was he asleep?

"Leslie, are you alright? You were asleep, Leslie. This- This is wonderful progress! Was your sleep nice? Do you feel better? Do you feel any better, more energy?", Dr. Jimenez pushed at him.

Looking up at at his guide Leslie tried speaking but only mumbled a few soft echos. "Sleep nice, sleep nice. Feel.. b-better. Asleep.", Leslie then looked down at his lap and touched his pants softly then gripping. "Voice." he murmured quietly.

"Hm? What was that?", Dr. Jimenez leaned at the boy trying to hear better.

Leslie nodded and repeated, "Voice.. s-soft, light.. p-pink."

Dr. Jimenez was set back from these sudden words that weren't echos, but Leslie's own thoughts being voiced and heard. He looked to the nurse that trailed in behind him to see if help was needed with a look of utter disbelief. "Leslie.. Are you feeling alright? Has all of that sleep gone to your head?", He smiled and tapped his forehead softly.

Leslie flintched a bit from the touch and slowly rose his hand and began habitly scratching the sides of his head in nervous habit. Suddenly seeing a flash of the same pale pink color he had only seen a few days before but hadn't seen since, jumping from his bed and in a panic ran through Dr. Jimenez and the other nurse beside him only to sprint outside of his room and to stare down the hall at the girl who caught his eye. The girl with long pale pink hair and the eyes full of brightness. Following behind him, Dr. Jimenez walked behind him and softly touched his shoulder. Leslie twitched at the touch and snapped quickly to look at his guide, then back down the hall as the girl turned down a doorway and dissappeared from Leslie's view. He sighed softly and looked down softly, holding his hand close and being very shakey in general, almost like a scared excited shake. Dr. Jimenez, seeing these unusual actions, leaned over and whispered some words to the nurse beside him and sent her off.

"Pink, pink. Pink.", Leslie softly echoed from beforehand. The nurse walked past them toward the front of the hospital, with clipboard in hand, to the front desk.