FOUR ┈➤ learned arts

act one. fuel the flames
three ┈➤ learned arts

"victory is mine
show you the harder the battle
the harder i fight"

➥ LEGENDS ARE MADE, SAM TINNESZ

Venus threw another blade at the target, landing it in the centre. She stretched a little after all the movement she'd been doing, sighing.

"You're good with the knives," Finnick complimented as he wandered over.

"Thanks." She threw another one, landing it in the head of the target.

"Maybe you could teach me."

"You're enough of a threat with just the trident, thank you," she chuckled. "Besides, I can't have you stealing my thing, can I?"

"Hey fair trade, I'll teach you something too. And you can choose. Even if you want to learn with the trident."

She shook her head. "I'll stick to the land and the regular blades. The trident's good, though, for you. It's a good look."

When she reached for another knife, his hand landed on hers, stopping her, and she looked up at him. "When we get in the arena, find me."

"Finn..."

"I'm being dead serious, find me, okay?"

"When we get in the arena, I'm running. If I can get to you, I'll try, but I'm going to run, whether that's to you or away."

"Please, just... try."

"I will." She knew the plan.

✦❘༻༺❘✦

"I don't know what you're talking about, Johanna, I thought it was very flattering," Venus chuckled as she swung the sword in a slashing motion.

"Don't start with me, Venus," Johanna retorted. "At least you looked good. I looked like a patch of leaves."

"Well, you were either going to be a tree or a lumberjack. Just be grateful they didn't stick you in plaid." She paused a second, thinking about the interviews. "And, I suppose, hope that they don't stick you in it for the interview."

Johanna scowled. "It's so unfair. We always get the worst outfits."

"Well, among the worst." Venus shrugged a little.

✦❘༻༺❘✦

Later on, after lunch, Venus approached Peeta, who was practicing with a machete of sorts. Truly, it was more like a sword, given the length, but with the curve of the blade, if would probably come under machete, or perhaps cutlass.

"You should try holding it different," she advised.

He turned to look at her, and she smiled a little, raising her hand in a small wave. "Huh?"

"You should hold it differently. If you hold it like that, you're at risk of losing power on your swing." She held a hand out. "May I?"

"Yeah, sure." He held it out to her, and she took it in her hands, gripping the handle the way she'd learned to.

"It's also easier to manoeuvre like this." She demonstrated, slashing and swiping through the air. "Obviously, there's a couple of other ways you could try depending on what you're planning to do with it. But you're more likely to be using it like this." She held it back out to him, and he took it.

"Like this?" He checked, mimicking the way she'd held it and then the movements she'd made with it.

"Yeah, that's it. Good job."

"Thanks."

"No problem." 

~~ 

this is the shortest chapter so far i think. maybe two was, not sure. the point is, look how worried finnick is for venus. he's actually so cute (i am aware that i wrote this). also johanna is an icon, and her and venus' friendship is so good, unfortunately it takes kind of a backseat, so their 'friendship' largely exists in my head. it's the little things i guess?