THREE ┈➤ a nightmarish performance

act one. fuel the flames
three ┈➤ a nightmarish performance

"we've been here forever
and here's the frozen proof
i could scream forever
we are the poisoned youth"

➥ CENTURIES, FALL OUT BOY

"You shouldn't have done that," Dahlia said to Venus when they sat on the train.

"I wasn't going to let any of you go in again."

"I know it was torture for you the first time around. You didn't have to do this."

Venus shook her head before she replied. "Yes, I did. Terry sure as hell can't go in, and Copper's retreated into herself since her games. And, as had been established, there are corpses with more life in them that you."

"Oh, no offence taken," Dahlia muttered.

"Look, everything's going to be okay. You know that. Right?"

Dahlia nodded faintly.

Helios was looking at the two of them, his face set in the same expression as usual - blank with a hint of resentment.

Following their meal, they watched the other Reapings. Venus sat on the plush seat with her legs hugged to her chest, watching the screen over folded arms. It was harder this year, knowing that all the Tributes (par Katniss and Peeta) were people she'd spoken to, and some were even her friends.

Venus looked out of the window again, at the Capitol as they approached it.

"Everything is going to be different this year, as it's a Quarter Quell," Decimus explained. "The Capitol has spared absolutely no expense. There is a new training centre, new Tribute living quarters, and, of course, a special arena." Venus looked over at Dahlia. Quarter Quell arenas could have a twist too, just as the Reapings did. "This year, you will be facing other Victors. You may be in the favour of those in the Capitol, but so are all the rest of them."

✦❘༻༺❘✦

Their arrival at the Capitol was yet another bombardment of sparkles and colours. People were falling over themselves to get a good look at their favourites, waving and screaming.

Venus had waved at them once. When she was a child, told to make an impression from the beginning. A child desperate to get through this, desperate for support in the hopes she'd make it out. Now, she didn't even smile. She walked past the colourfully dressed Capitolites, refusing to acknowledge them.

This city had never brought any goodness. Its people had left her to tragedy, to the mercy of the utmost members of its society. They "loved" their Victors, promised them better lives, and consigned them to nothing but more nightmares that were masked by sparkles and pretty clothes. They loved them, and yet they were bringing them back to fight to the death, until one favourite remained standing.

Just a simple reminder. A warning that they were easily disposed of, and easily replaced.

When she and Helios had arrived at the training centre, they were brought up to their living quarters, with Decimus telling them that preening would be coming a little later. His words had been something a little different, something to the effect of telling them they'd be meeting with their stylists soon enough.

"Look, I know your policy on allies, Dahlia began, looking at Venus, "But I think it would be advisable this year."

"I can't kill my friends," Venus said.