Chapter 7: Advice From Albus

Fred was more comforted and slightly more cheerful when he and Albus returned from seeing George and the other Weasleys in the Mortal Glass.

"Are they alright?" asked Peter. In spite of his betrayal of Ron, he felt some gratitude towards the Weasleys for giving him a home when he went in hiding. Everyone else had sense to stay respectfully silent.

"Yes," said Fred, "Everyone's caring for George and Angelina Johnson's always with him apparently, grieving together. I never knew she cared about me that much." He looked tearful and touched.

"Well," said Albus, "I believe it's time we took our leave."

"Yeah," said Mad Eye, "Got to keep my eye on that Lestrange cow."

"Be sure to send my coldest regards." said Sirius, remembering how his cousin killed him.

"I will." replied Mad Eye with a twisted smile.

Cedric followed, bidding his new friends farewell. But Dobby remained.

"Dobby wonders if he could possibly stay at Hogwarts to work and have time with his new friends." he said shyly to Albus and the Potters.

 Albus and Lily smiled knowingly at each other, then Lily said "Of course you may, Dobby."

Dobby wrapped his small arms round Lily's waist in gratitude, and did the same to James and the other residents who had consented his stay by nodding and smiling. He hesitated with Severus and Peter, but managed to shake hands with both of them.

"Dobby is most grateful." he squeaked joyously.

"Very well," said Albus, as he watched Mad Eye and Cedric take their leave, "I shall take myself and young Mr Weasley here back to our pieces of Heaven."

He made to leave, but Lily, James and Severus called for him to wait, which he did. He had a knowing look in his eyes.

"Could you perhaps stay with us a while?" asked Severus.

"We need your help." said James.

"But just this last time." added Lily.

"Any time." smiled Albus at Lily's words, "I shall take Fred back and I shall meet you in my old office. It was nice to be in it again just now. It'll be quite a suitable place for this discussion you want."

The three friends nodded their understanding and Albus and Fred took their leave through the back door from which they came in, and it vanished as the door shut behind them.

"How did Albus find that door?" asked Sirius.

"Great, clever man." said Remus simply.

"Indeed." agreed Tonks.

"Well, we'd better go upstairs." said Lily.

"Of course." said Remus. He and Sirius nodded encouragingly to James and Severus. They and Tonks did have a piteous expression though, as they knew that what they wanted to discuss with Albus was not likely to end well with everyone. But Lily felt that if anyone could solve her problem without hurting either her husband or her best friend, it was Albus.

Lily and James walked off towards Albus' office. Severus remained still.

"Come on, Severus." gestured James.

But Severus was scared that Albus couldn't help him.

"It will be alright, Sev." said Lily. She held James' hand and reached out for Severus'.

Severus eventually took his love's hand and she and James led him to Albus' office.

They entered the room and there was Albus already. A door was behind him. He had just returned.

"Now what can I do for you?" he asked.

"You know, Albus." said James a little temperamentally. He never understood why Albus would humour them around.

"We are friends, but that will fall apart, I believe." said Severus.

"I can't choose between James and Sev." said Lily, "I love them both, but I can't choose."

"But you must." said Albus simply.

"I know that." said Lily, "But I thought you could give more advice on how I can choose and remain friends with them and we can all be happy."

Albus smiled sadly, which was getting to annoy Severus. The former walked up to James and spoke.

"I know you are in a tough place, James," said Albus, "And I know you are being brave to let Lily and Severus be this close again, even though it risks you losing her. And I hope Severus realises what a good man you've grown up to be."

"I do now." said Severus quietly.

"And you do deserve Lily." said Albus to James, "You've loved and protected her all your life and you're doing your best to keep her happy and protected in death."

James smiled. He knew Albus was being truthful in his words.

Albus then turned to Severus.

"Severus, you are one of the bravest men I've ever had the pleasure to befriend. You made some mistakes and you did everything you could to make up for them. You maintained your love for Lily, you protected her son and you were able to deceive Voldemort even better than I could myself, and that is saying something."

Severus said nothing. He stood still, feeling secretly proud.

"You deserve happiness, and as far as I can see, that happiness lies with Lily and no one else."

"Yes, it does." said Severus sadly.

"There has to be a way out of this." pleaded Lily to all three men.

Albus stared at her. He saw the pain and sadness in her eyes. She was fond of both Severus and James and would never forgive herself if she let either one of them down.

"Lily...I want to have a private word with you." said Albus. He looked very serious.

"What about us?" asked Severus.

"You two will leave us alone and go back to your friends." said Albus, in a commanding tone as though he was still in charge of Hogwarts.

Without argument, but certainly with reluctance, Severus and James left the office. Lily turned to Albus and spoke fearfully.

"I'm guessing you're going to suggest who I should choose..." 

Fifteen minutes passed, and Lily was now pale with shock.

"And that, all in all is my suggestion of what you should do." said Albus.

"....But....how can I....do that?" asked Lily, as though she was scared.

Author's end of chapter talk: So that's another chapter done. I intend to do at least three more. So what do you think will happen in Chapter 8? What was Albus' advice to Lily? Will she be able to do it? Who will be heartbroken? Will Severus maintain any of his new found friendships? Find out soon! Comment and vote!