Chapter 5: The Bonds of Friendship

Albus walked pleasantly down to his former students and Order members. They were astonished to see him. Tonks embraced him as he approached, sobbing in relief that he was alright. Remus and Sirius each eagerly shook his now unwithered hand and James just stood still, happy as anything. He knew that if anyone could solve the problem with Lily and Severus, it was Albus. Peter backed away in uncertain nervousness. He was scared of Albus' reaction to see him.

Albus said, "Thank you for your warm welcome upon my rude intrusion."

"Rude intrusion?" said Remus, "We're delighted to see you."

"It's been a while, Dumbledore." said Sirius, a broad grin all over his face.

"It has indeed, Sirius." said Albus, "And may I say, you look a lot healthier."

Sirius smiled cheerfully. Albus turned to Peter.

"I see Wormtail has been reunited with his friends, his only true friends." he smiled. He looked very sympathetic towards the crouched, pale, sweaty figure cowering before him.

"I'm sorry for my past crimes, sir." whimpered Peter.

"I know." said Albus, "I've always known you regretted your actions which was why I had faith that Harry would at one point be safe with that bond he and you shared."

Peter bowed before the still kind man looking at him with no hatred or disgust in his face and eyes.

Albus turned to James next. "I hope you've been comfortable in Hogwarts these past 16 years." he said.

"I have, sir." smiled James, "Me and Lily both. Although we always had Harry and our friends in mind."

"Well, it's all over now." said Albus. He seemed to be looking for something. "Where is Lily? I'm concerned as to why you question if she will be alright in Heaven, of all places."

"She's gone to see a person who doesn't believe that he is in Heaven." said James.

"Ah, so he did make it to you." said Albus cheerily, "I assume you're referring to Severus?"

"Yes." said James.

"Is he being as much a nuisance as you were in school, James?" asked Albus with a smile on his face.

James blushed. "Yes, he is. He won't accept he's in Heaven if we're here. He still loves Lily and can't see himself being happy. And as Lily loves him but still loves me, I can't see how he can be happy either. I'm losing faith in whatever happiness you've promised him, Albus."

Albus' eyes produced a tear. "Yes," he said faintly, "But I can guarantee that he will be. You all will."

James, Sirius, Remus, Tonks and Peter were puzzled. Albus seemed so confident. He knew that at the end of the day, Lily had a choice. She had to choose either James or Severus, leaving one of them unhappy and therefore keeping her unhappy, as she would feel remorse for breaking the other's heart. They all faced the great doorway to the Great Hall where Lily had just left.

Lily herself was standing by the dungeon doors, behind which Severus sat, sad and alone. She was continously nervous about the day Severus would eventually die and they'd meet again. She always wondered what would happen on that day and things were as bad as she had imagined. Severus refused her friendship, and felt that without her love, he resides in Hell. She knew that Severus deserved more than that. She wanted to give him just that, but she also never dreamed of abandoning James ever since she finally agreed to be his girlfriend.

After several minutes of wondering what to say and do to her old, best friend, Lily knocked on the doors. At first, she thought there was no reply. Then the door opened and Severus spoke immediately.