Chapter 1

Coal's Tavern, Mistral

"Hey, barkeep, would you be a dear and pour me another glass~" A woman said, slurring over her words a bit.

Coal lets out an irritated grunt before going over to the woman and refilling her cup. Even if she was a newcomer, he already wants to kick her out.

Ever since she got here, all she did was scare off his customers with her disgusting flirting and egregious tales from her "huntress" days.

Coal analyzed the woman, tracing her finger around the rim of the glass. She wore a red jacket with a white fur trim around the collar, exposing some cleavage. She also donned a matching colored skirt with a white fur trim topped with a broad buckled belt. Her hat sat crookedly on her head, and her cascading white hair hung off her shoulders.

There's no way she's a huntress. It can't be.

Then again, she didn't look like an ordinary civilian who would live in Mistral either, especially with that sword on her back.

"Ara, Ara. I see that you've been ogling at me~" She leans at him, her eyes fixated on his crotch.

"I'm not interested in you." Coal said in disgust.

"Yeah right," She said smugly, licking her lips and looking at him with lust. "This is what you want."

The "huntress" then lowers her collar, revealing a generous expanse of her bosom. Coal gulps at the sight and quickly turns away, earning a laugh from her.

"Awww, don't act shy. I wanna get to know ya," She said coquettishly. "Y'know what? I'll start. My name is Nichole. What's your's?"

"What's it to you? It's not like we're gonna meet again." Coal rolled his eyes, cleaning another glass.

Nichole stretched out her arms. "Oh darlin', I'm sure we'll meet again. Heh, who knows, we might even get married~"

Coal clicked his tongue and placed the clean glass in the cupboard. He had his fair share of annoying customers but this one takes the cake.

Nichole made a sideway glance towards the clock on the wall.

It's time.

The red huntress stood up, reached into her cleavage, and pulled out a couple of Lien.

She carelessly threw it on the table. "Here ya go. That should be enough, right?"

Coal gave an eye roll as the drunk customer wobbled out of the bar.

Finally, she's gone.

He reached over and grabbed the Lien from the table but flinched as his fingertips touched the surface.

"Ew, it's covered in sweat!"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Black boots crunched under the snow as Nichole trudged along the path. Her footsteps were heavy and ponderous. Her breathing was labored, and everything was a little glossy in view.

Maybe going to that bar was a bad idea. But she couldn't shake off the craving for beer. After all, it was cold, and what better way to warm up with a cold one?

At the proper distance, Nichole stopped to catch her breath. She looked up at the snowy sky, and a single snowflake fell on the tip of her nose.

The huntress expected the weather to be worse, but this was tolerable compared to what she walked through to get here.