Chapter 3 - Satanic Sacrifice at Practice

"Hey guys!"

Mock-cheering, Evan knelt at Simi's desk, putting his arms over her history book. She glared at him. "Go get your own desk, dude."

He sighed dramatically. "But Simi!"

Emma gave a short sigh. "Evan. Please. I have had two fucking hours of sleep. Go get a desk before I bring up Satan and give you a full-on satanic sacrifice."

Evan rolled his eyes, before getting up and-"Hey, look what we got here. That punk kid at the office yesterday."

Torin grinned at him. "Talking about that, aren't you supposed to be with your cronies, fella?"

Evan rolled his eyes. "Shut up."

Emma grinned as he gave a short huff, grabbing a desk and pulling it over to the group. "Jeez guys, you're so rude."

"That's what she said."

"Emma, that didn't even make sense." Simi face-palmed herself.

That remark from Simi sent the girl into cackles of evil laugher. "It would though! If somebody was in a threesome with two guys and they were having violet sex...Levi, don't give me that look."

Levi just stared at her.

"Quiet, everyone!" Mrs. Heather, whom, now that Torin got a closer look at the lady, was a tall, stern woman who looked like she could eat rocks. Talk about terrifying. "I see you are all in your groups. Now, since this is your first year in high-school, I'm putting you into these groups so you can work and help with each other's work throughout the year. Since you're just starting out, I imagine most of you won't know each other, and this will work out."

Everybody in Torin's group gave knowing grins at each other. Simi snuck out an iPhone out of her pocket, scrolling through it aimlessly under the table.

"The schedule of when you guys will get together is shown on the paper I gave you. On Mondays to Thursdays, you will work separately until I call break, when we will take five minutes to use the restroom, get water, etc. After that, you can work together in your groups until the end of the period. On Fridays, you can take the whole period to work together. Do you understand?"

There was silence, and Mrs. Heather took that as a yes. "Good. Now, there should be another paper that will be your syllabus. I want those signed by your parent or guardian and turned in on Thursday."

Today was the first day of basketball practice.

Awkwardly, Torin flung off his camo shirt, replacing his jeans for light-weight red shorts and a baggy orange T-shirt. The other guys were mostly clustered in one big group, talking about this girl Savannah that was apparently coming to the school and how hot she was.

Someone brushed past him and stood at the lockers, his lock making grinding sounds as he opened it. Torin looked over, and to his surprise and distaste-

"Hey there, punk."

Torin mentally sighed. "Hello, Evan."

"Why is your locker next to mine?" Evan finally wrenched his locker door open, and pulled out a red sports shirt.

"I could ask you the same question."

Evan rolled his eyes. "Probably because I didn't know that the locker next to mine was some losers."

His words stung, but Torin kept it in. "See, there's your answer, in exact words."

"Well, I'm not a loser, for one."

"That's what all the losers say, dude."

"Well, if I am a loser, that makes two of us."

Torin slammed his locker and walked threateningly towards Evan. "Look. I didn't come to this school to be pushed around. As a matter of fact, I didn't even want to join this basketball team. I don't do sports, but if I have to be in this basketball team, then please. I am really near the end of my patience and if you try using up the rest of it, you are not going to have a fun year.

Evan looked down for a few seconds, then nodded and walked away.

Torin smiled as he slipped on his shorts. Torin one, Evan zero.

"Dude, you really suck at basketball."

They were running around the court, shooting hoops, and Lucky Torin didn't manage to even get one basket. "Yeah, I know. No need to rub it in."

Evan gave something between a snort and a laugh before throwing his ball-and damn him, it twirled perfectly into the net. Bastard.

"You know," Evan remarked, "You might become better if you actually practiced." Two more guys had thrown hoops-perfect, of course.

"Yeah, not like this is basketball practice or anything."

Evan gave a sort of sigh. "Never mind. You're hopeless."

Torin chuckled.

This went on for a few more minutes, and he was starting to get the rhythm of it. It was all in the arm...

"No, dude, you have to use a white goat. It symbolizes the purity that Lucifer can take and foul."

Torin glanced over as Emma and a stocky black-haired boy with an old jacket walked in, arguing fiercely. Before them was that red-haired girl-Evan's girlfriend, who was obviously pissed as she stomped towards Evan, pouting.

"Evie!" she whined. "Emma and Donovan threatened to use me in a Satanic sacrifice! They're scaring meeee!"

Emma silently collapsed in laughter as the boy-Donovan-nodded. "Yeah. We needed a young virgin girl's heart to sacrifice so we can bring Lucifer up to Earth. But then..." He shrugged. "We kind of figured that the last part didn't exactly fit her. Besides, who knows if she actually has a heart?"

Evan sighed. "Katie, they're just joking. Ignore them."

She stomped her foot. "They insulted me, Evie! Do something about them, or else I am breaking up with you!"

"Fine."

She stared at Evan like a lost puppy. "What?!" She screeched. "I thought you loved me! Evie!"

Evan shrugged. "Not if you're going to act like a baby."

Furious, she stomped out. "You're going to regret this, Evie!"

Emma and Donovan grinned at each other, giving each other a brofist before walking out the door.

The room was silent as the practice continued.

Evan and Torin were the last ones in the locker room.

Torin tore off his gym shirt as Evan calmly, deliberately taking off his shoes. It was about time practice was over. He had spent the rest of the period feeling like a complete idiot after he had Evan yell at him about how bad he was doing in basketball.

Fucking people sometimes.

As he was wrestling up a pair of jeans, his phone went off. Evan's head jerked upwards as a 50 cent song started blaring. I take you to the candy shop,

"Fuck," he muttered, quickly grabbing it and fumbling with his belt.

I let you lick the lollipop. It was his mom, and he hastily pressed the call button. "Yeah, what's up?"

"Torin, honey, I'm not going to be able to pick you up, okay? Unfortunately I'm going to have to work overtime tonight. Can you walk home?"

Suddenly Torin felt really stupid with his shirt off and Evan literally staring at him in amusement. So what, he liked 50 cent. Even though he had frequent nightmares about people like him judging Torin for who he was. Even though he embarrassingly liked country rap better.

"Yeah, um, that's fine. I'll pick up a pizza for dinner, okay?"

"Okay, have fun!"

He hung up and slipped the phone in his pocket. What did she mean, have fun? Did she think he was going to bring a whole new party of friends back home? Moms were weird.

"Who was that?" Evan asked.

Torin ignored him, turning around and grabbing a clean T-shirt.

"Rude." Evan stood up and put on a sweater, his eyes burning into Torin's back.

"Fuck you." Torin walked out.

As he went into the the hallways and approached his way to the double doors, he could help but look back at the idiot, who was leaning by the gym door. Strangely enough, he felt reluctant to turn around again.