Awkward Homecoming 1

When we got home, we ordered some poke bowls from our favorite Asian restaurant, then we sat down around the table to talk about my adventure. Bree had driven home from college for my homecoming, and everyone was eager to hear how I'd managed to survive the plane crash and live stranded on a deserted island for so long. While I was hesitant to talk about the experience, I knew they'd have many questions, especially my husband John, who seemed especially curious to learn more about my handsome travel mate, Dylan.

"Before we begin eating," he said, clasping everyone's hands around the table. "I think we should say a prayer for the miraculous return of Jenny."

"Dear Lord," he intoned, closing his eyes. "Thank you for returning our beloved mother and wife unharmed from her harrowing ordeal. We don't know why you chose only her and one other to carry on in this world, but we will never forget your benevolence and grace. We are forever at your mercy, amen."

"Amen," my children nodded, then Ben looked up excitedly as he stabbed a slice of sushi in his poke bowl.

"What happened to the rest of the passengers on the plane?" he said, taking a big bite. "How did you manage to escape after it crashed? Were there snakes or any other scary creatures on the island–"

"Whoa, Ben," John said, raising his hand. "I'm sure your mother is still recovering from her ordeal. It must have been very traumatizing, and the last thing she wants to do is relive the entire experience."

"It's alright, John," I said, placing my hand overtop of his. "I'm sure everybody is curious about what happened. It's not every day that a loved one crashes in the middle of the ocean and goes missing for weeks on end."

"Yes," he said. "We were worried sick about you. I was beginning to fear the worst..."

"We got lucky," I nodded. "My seat mate and I were in the rear section of the plane, which broke apart when it crashed in the sea. The other passengers weren't able to get out before the front part sank under the water. The tail assembly floated just long enough for Dylan and me to grab some life jackets and hop into the inflatable raft attached to the rear exit door."

"How did you find the island?" my daughter Bree asked.

"That was another fluke," I said, picking up a slice of raw tuna with my chopsticks and frowning at how stale it tasted compared to the fresh fish Dylan and I had caught in the lagoon. "We fell asleep after the storm passed and woke up to find the raft had landed on a deserted beach."

"What did you do to survive?" Ben asked, crunching some macadamia nuts from his bowl. "Did you have food and water?"

"My fellow castaway was very resourceful," I nodded. Even the coconut rice tasted bland compared to the ones on the island. "He taught me how to catch fish in the lagoon and make a fire to boil the abundant fresh water. And yes, there were snakes, but they provided an extra source of protein during our lengthy stay."

"It sounds like this fellow was the perfect partner to help you to survive this calamity," John said, peering at me with a raised eyebrow. "What other special skills did he share with you?"

I hesitated for a moment, wondering how many more details I should share with him.

"He taught me how to build a fort in the trees and make a bed out of webbed leaves–"

"And did you share this fortress while you were stuck together on this island?"

"We alternated sleeping arrangements every other day," I said, only partially lying. "While one of us kept a lookout at the top of the mountain for passing planes and ships, the other one slept near the lagoon to catch fish and build up our store of fresh water."