Chapter 36 - Tougher

Slight Gore Warning ⚠️
———————————————————————————

"Back on the road again..." Dell murmured and laid against (Y/N)'s shoulder who did the same with her.

       They both sat inside the truck together while the rest of the team was siphoning gas from stranded cars. Vivian sat across from them and watched the red and orange leaves on the trees flow in the wind.

"How big is that bunker exactly?" Dell asked to fill the silence inside the truck.

"Not too big. I say it's the size of a small house." (Y/N) tried to remember. It's been years since she's stepped foot there. "But Grandpa and Rockman stored supplies there years ago. They were doomsday prepping for a few years."

"Thank goodness for grandpas." Dell sighed and moved so that she could see Vivian. "How have you been holding up, Viv?"

       The older lady smiled softly and shrugged her shoulders. Her hands were tracing around her belly to help soothe some tension she had. "As best as I can with everything that's happened."

      She was trying to keep calm and not let the group's problems affect her pregnancy. (Y/N) hoped the stress from the shootout and her temporary death didn't the baby. "Do you need anything from us?"

"No, I'm fine. I just want to stay off my feet fo-" Vivian stopped as her eyes widened due to a surprise feeling in her belly.

      Both nurses jumped up when they saw Vivian's reaction but the older woman chuckled and motioned for them to settle down. "It's just a kick. Not labor."

      Visible relief washed them. Dell almost felt her heart jump out of her chest. "Oh thank god..."

      Vivian's hand moved her sweater up to reveal her stomach. She felt around for the baby's kicks and smiled once she saw the little movement. "You ladies want to feel? They're still kicking."

       Dell perked up and nodded while (Y/N) simply watched. Her friend was always excited about babies. Even back at the hospital when the world was normal, Dell was always quick to offer her help to new mothers and midwives.

       As Dell giggled from feeling the baby's movement, (Y/N) thought that the moment was a rather precious one in such a while. "Do you know the gender yet?"

"No. I wanted it to be a surprise." Vivian spoke. "I haven't thought of names either. It might sound cheesy but I want the name to come to me the moment I get to meet them."

"As long as their middle name gets to be Delilah." Dell smirked, making the other two women laugh.

      Vivian covered her belly with her sweater as she and Dell fell into a conversation about motherhood. (Y/N) mostly listened and sometimes added in some input, but throughout the conversation, she began to notice Dell look a bit down. Her friend mostly kept a normal and smiled but (Y/N) could see that it was more of a bittersweet look.

      Wes appeared at the door and peeked inside at the three. "Hey, sorry to barge in but (Y/N), the Captain needs you for a moment."

"What's wrong?" (Y/N) asked as she got up and excused herself.

"Nothing too bad. Just Rose's stitches broke." Wes escorted her to where the captain was after she quickly grabbed a small health pack. He leaning against a small car with his hand clutched over his bleeding arm and held an annoyed look.

      Good thing, she grabbed the health pack. She approached the captain and began to inspect his arm carefully. "You really need to stop moving this arm. It won't heal."