Chapter 12: Hidden Night

"No way. AC Current looks so much bigger than I thought." Iteijyu praises as he got out of his car. He walks to the front door of the company with other students from other universities.

AC Current. An Electrical Company responsible for electricity transmission around Kyoto. Specializing with work-study opportunities, they help undergraduate students with first-hand job training for their degrees. In his curriculum, on-job practice is crucial for his graduation. The building has a large symmetrical layout of windows and a modern gradient gray color. Their guide, dressed in business casual, greets a warm welcome to the group.

"Hello everyone. My name is Mia Fudachi. I am a support specialist here at AC Current. I will give you a tour around each floor before you will be assigned with your field instructor." Mia gestures the group to follow her inside.

The interior of the place is of modern simplicity. Iteijyu zones out just looking at the whole place. One of the security guards looks at him apathetically and shifts back his focus. He turns back to see him switch out by someone. He's glad he won't see him again. His first impression is off to a good start.

"Most of your work will be done on the second floor with electricians and engineers. If you look outside, we have a construction site for students. You will rotate roles occasionally throughout your studies." Mia continues as they all step on the escalator to the second floor. Iteijyu ignores Mia and mindlessly looks at the janitor opening a door at the corner. Even listening to Mia bores him completely.

Many rooms are placed sporadically. There is an office room at the corner with a wide balcony. Many transparent, glass rooms circulate every corner of the place. There are group meetings in session about the improvement of products. The employees and the presenter all wave at the students. Iteijyu awkwardly smiles and shakes his hand up and down. Mia and the group enter a conference room. A big oval table in the center shows various sections of folders and group labels. Various Engineers and Electricians group together talking while anticipating their first cohorts.

"The table right here will show your university's name. Please find your respected lanyard. Your card will have your field instructor's name so please meet with them. We will begin shortly." Mia elaborates.

Iteijyu slowly scans the label. He looks at each individual worker and feels a small wave of anxiety. He never interacted with professionals before and already feels like dead-weight. What bothered him was the thought of living up to their standards. Iteijyu isn't the type to boast about his knowledge but without his parents supporting him, he tries his best to get through the day. He goes to the left center side of the table with three students from different campuses.

"Ah. You must be the last person missing in my cohort. Welcome aboard!" The electrician greets Iteiyju with a firm handshake.

"Hey. It's nice to meet you." Iteijyu shrugs. He puts his arms inside the pocket of his black hoodie.

The field instructor, a tall, cheetah breed with construction attire, positions himself. "Alright, let's get started! My name is Jiro Seijiya. I know you're all nervous but don't worry, we're here to help. For your first day, we will start the first hour of introductions in the lab and work on troubleshooting a fuse box. Remember to take your time. Everyone of you will make mistakes. This isn't a competition, you're all here to gain hours for your degree. Plus, we have other engineers to help you out! Don't worry, we will go into the technological stuff in the next few weeks. For now, we start with the basics."

Iteijyu thinks to himself while they walk together. "Hmm, I wonder if these guys are all experienced? I'm not good with hands-on stuff. I barely passed my exam. They don't look okay to talk to. No! I shouldn't be thinking like that. We're all here to learn. I got this."