Chapter 6: Awareness

Anwar Khan’s excitement was palpable as he expressed his astonishment at Malik Murtasim’s newfound support for the school project. The air in the room was charged with an unusual blend of hope and disbelief.

"Meerab, mujhe ab tak yaqeen nahi aa raha ke Malik Murtasim ab humare sath khara hai aur school ke idea ko itni behtereen tareeke se support kar raha hai," Anwar Khan exclaimed, his voice tinged with both surprise and delight. He paced the room, his hands gesticulating energetically as he spoke.

Meerab, who had just finished briefing her father about the day's meeting with the villagers, echoed his sentiments. "Yakeen tou mujhe aur Marium ko bhi nahi aa raha. It seems like Malik Murtasim had a change of heart after his father's death," she said, her eyes sparkling with a mixture of relief and cautious optimism.

"Chalo, ab Malik humaray sath hain tou mamlaat me asani rahegi. Allah ne chaha tou jald hi school ki inauguration bhi hojayegi," Anwar said, a satisfied smile on his face as he envisioned the successful launch of the school.

Meerab nodded, her mind already racing with ideas. "Baba, mei soch rahi thi ke aas-paas ke jo chotay gaon hain, wahan bhi awareness layi jaye taake waha ki larkiya bhi school aa saken."

Anwar's expression grew thoughtful, but he shook his head gently. "Idea bura nahi hai lekin tumhara waha jana munasib nahi hai. Malik Murtasim se baat karunga mei iss kam ke liye, tumhe fikar karne ki zaroorat nahi hai."

"Jee theek hai, Baba," Meerab agreed, though she was secretly disappointed.

---

In the quiet solitude of his office, Murtasim's thoughts were interrupted by the presence of Waqas Ahmed. The lawyer, leaning back in his chair with a cigarette dangling between his fingers, exhaled a puff of smoke and remarked, "Ap ne tou bohat zabardast tareeke se mamla sambhal liya chotay Malik."

Murtasim barely acknowledged the compliment. His dislike for his father's lawyer was evident in his curt responses, but he knew he needed Waqas for the moment. He shifted the conversation to the new challenge: Anwar Khan’s suggestion for a campaign to promote the school in neighboring villages.

Waqas, sensing Murtasim’s hesitation, decided to press the matter. "Malik Sahab, aapko apne irade aur majboot karna hoga. Anwar Khan ne aapko saath chalne ke liye kaha hai, lekin iss mauke ko Meerab Khan ke dil mein jagah banane ke liye istemal karen," he advised, a calculating gleam in his eyes.

Murtasim, still struggling with the idea of putting in extra effort for a girl he had barely interacted with, felt a pang of frustration. His attraction to Meerab was overshadowed by his ambition for power, and he wondered if his pursuit was worth the effort. He decided to dismiss Waqas for the time being, needing space to contemplate his next steps.

"Murtasim bhai, aj ap ne sona nahi hai kya?" A familiar, gentle voice broke through his thoughts. It was Marium, his cousin, standing with a steaming cup of coffee.

He looked up, the weariness evident in his eyes. "Baba ka role takeover karna easy nahi hai. Especially aj kal school se related bhi itna kam hai, bas isi liye der ho gayi," he explained, his tone heavy with exhaustion.

Marium placed the coffee on his desk, a smile of understanding on her lips. "Han, Meerab ne mujhe campaign ke hawalay se bataya. Keh rahi thi ke Anwar Khan usse sath jaane ki ijazat nahi de rahe, halan ke uska dil hai ke wo khud campaign lead karay."

A plan began to form in Murtasim’s mind, a glimmer of opportunity arising from the situation. "Jab school ka idea uska hai tou lead bhi usse hi karna chahiye. Mei khud Anwar Khan se baat karunga," he said, determination in his voice.

Marium’s eyes widened in surprise. "Murtasim bhai, sab khairiyat tou hai, kahi Meerab se pyar tou nahi hogaya ap ko?" she asked, her tone a mix of mock and curiosity.

Murtasim, caught off guard, choked on his coffee, the liquid spilling down his chin. "Aesa kuch nahi hai," he gasped, his face flushed with embarrassment. Marium laughed, finding amusement in his reaction.

"By the way, it’s time you got married. Akhir kab tak Maa aurton ke maslay suljhati rahengi aur mei ap ki coffee banati rahungi," Marium teased, her smile widening.

Murtasim sighed, closing the file on his desk with a frustrated thud. "Marium, mei bohot thaka huwa hu aur sone ja raha hu. Tum bhi so jao," he said, rising to leave his office.

Marium giggled at her cousin's reaction and made her way out, leaving Murtasim alone with his thoughts.

---

Murtasim’s determination to convince Anwar Khan to allow Meerab to join the campaign led him to make a persuasive case. "Khan ap fikar na karen, Meerab ki hifazat ki poori zimadari le raha hu mei," he assured Anwar, trying to alleviate his concerns.

Despite Murtasim's efforts, Anwar Khan remained adamant about not letting Meerab go. The conversation, intentionally made from a location where Marium could overhear, was a strategic move. Murtasim knew that the news of his efforts would soon reach Meerab, which was precisely what he intended.

The following day, Marium's visit to Murtasim’s office to deliver a thank-you message from Meerab confirmed his suspicions. Even though Anwar Khan had not agreed to let Meerab join the campaign, Murtasim’s intervention had achieved its purpose. The knowledge that Meerab had received his message brought him a sense of satisfaction.

---

That night, Meerab lay on her bed, her thoughts a whirlwind of recent events. Malik ShahNawaz’s passing, Murtasim’s unexpected support for the school, and his attempts to convince her father—all of it replayed in her mind. Her feelings toward Murtasim were evolving, transforming into something she couldn’t quite define.

Her thoughts wandered back to that day when Murtasim had appeared unexpectedly during her meeting with the villagers. He had been dressed impeccably in a crisp black shalwar kurta, his white shawl draped elegantly over his shoulders. His presence and genuine support for her cause had been both surprising and compelling. Meerab had never seen him in such a light before. Now, more than ever, she found herself drawn to him in a way she had never anticipated.  for the school project. Meerab shared his sentiments, acknowledging that Murtasim's change of heart had been unexpected but certainly welcomed.

********************************

Not entirely satisfied with this chapter but I was really stressed out and needed to write something.
Let me know what do you think Waqas has to gain from the whole thing?