Chapter 2. Turn Of Events

Meerab's return to the Khan Mansion was marked by a lingering unease from her recent encounter with Murtasim. The grand living room bore an air of serene opulence, with Persian carpets and antique wooden furniture standing as timeless witnesses to the Khan family's history. Anwar Khan, her Baba, occupied a well-worn armchair, his grizzled features breaking into a smile at the sight of his beloved daughter.

"Assalam o Alaikum, Baba," Meerab greeted him, a strained but respectful smile gracing her lips.

"Wa Alaikum as salam, beta," Anwar Khan replied, his eyes observant, perceptive to the faint traces of tension in her demeanor. "Kesi rahi meeting?"

"Meeting tou bohot achi rahi, Baba," Meerab responded, though the remnants of her confrontation with Murtasim still lingered, overshadowing the satisfaction she should have felt.

Anwar Khan's keen understanding picked up on her unease. "Koi pareshani hai?"

The weight of her encounter with Murtasim pressed on her, urging her to confide in her father. After a moment's hesitation, she couldn't contain it any longer. "Murtasim..."

Anwar Khan nodded knowingly, fully aware of the gravity of the situation and the challenges their family was facing. "Han beta, I know. Mera khayal hai humei school ki inauguration ko delay karna hoga. We can't risk something like last time as there are still a lot of people in the village who disagree with the idea. Malik was helping quite a lot in this regard, but ever since his Alzheimer's took a turn for the worse, I've been left alone, especially because his son isn't cooperative regarding the matter at all."

Meerab's ears perked up at the cryptic reference to "last time." Her curiosity tugged at her even more. "What do you mean by last time, Baba?"

Anwar Khan's gaze wandered into the past, his eyes distant, as he revisited a painful memory. "Nothing beta. Let's have dinner, hmm?"

The room seemed to hang heavy with unspoken words and the weight of history, leaving Meerab resolute in her determination to uncover the mystery behind the enigmatic "last time."

As the night fell and the house settled into a tranquil evening, Meerab retreated to her room, armed with a laptop and an unshakable resolve. She was determined to unravel the enigma of the "last time." Her research began with scouring the vast expanse of the internet for any inkling, any fragment of information, related to girls' schooling in their district over the past few years. It was a quest for answers, a puzzle she was determined to piece together.

Meerab's room was a sanctuary of quiet contemplation. The soft glow of a desk lamp cast a gentle halo of light around her, illuminating her focused expression. On her laptop screen, a mosaic of websites, articles, and community forums unfolded, each potentially holding a clue to the past event her Baba was so reluctant to discuss.

Hours melted into the night as Meerab delved deeper into her online quest. She sifted through an array of sources, scrutinizing news articles, perusing blogs, and even engaging in the labyrinthine world of community forums. Yet, her relentless pursuit yielded no trace of any notable incidents or conflicts related to girls' education in their district.

Frustration welled up within her, but Meerab's determination remained steadfast. She would not be deterred by the silence of the digital realm. With each passing moment, she understood that uncovering the truth behind the "last time" was not merely a matter of historical curiosity. It was an essential step toward ensuring the success of the girls' school, a beacon of change and empowerment in a village steeped in tradition. She was resolute in her mission, prepared to turn every virtual stone until the elusive puzzle piece was found.

With a heavy sigh, Meerab closed her laptop, the soft click of the shutting device echoing in the silence of her room. The cold, dim glow of the laptop screen reflected in her eyes, emphasizing the disappointment that had settled upon her. It was clear that her exhaustive online search had failed to yield any answers, leaving the enigma of the "last time" unresolved, casting a lingering shadow of intrigue and curiosity.