Summoning Tentacles Doesn't Help Kill Roosters

*Earlier that night*

Virord:

I didn't sleep that well at camp. Nightmares had plagued me in my last days in New Rome before I came to New York. That combined with the new environment, sleep had not been an easy thing for me to come by.

That is how I found myself flipping through Felix. That was the name I'd given to the spellbook my mother had gifted me on my 13th birthday. Felix was pretty useful for storing stuff, now helping me to perform spells? Yeah no that's not a strong suit of mine. It's still pretty cool when I randomly summon like a frog or something. Not that that was ever what I was actually intending.

I flipped to a new page, depicting the spell I had shown at the Big House not that long ago. I now realized how mistaken I had been about the spell. I pushed against the door, being careful to not push too hard. The Hecate cabin was made of a bunch of different materials engraved in magic, so you had to make sure to treat it right if you didn't want to wake up as a frog one day.

On the page I was looking at, a picture was drawn stretching across the page and even weaving around the text. The creature was labeled as an Ogre, but growing up watching Shrek that is not the way I would describe it to anyone. The long tail reminded me of a dragon, but the face took on the shape of a horse. The scales along its body were a light blue, although its claws and eyes were a deep purple.

I made my way across camp, heading towards the dense forest. I had been meaning to explore it more, but I hadn't gotten the chance to other than Capture the flag. Considering my only given task that game was to make sure Zon got nowhere near the action, I didn't get to do much exploring.

That was one thing I had learned quickly at Camp Half-Blood. For some reason my siblings and mother heavily resented the guy. I didn't get it much. Sure there was some family history trouble or whatever, but it didn't seem like the guy was able to even hold a bow properly. He'd been put so far from the action I wasn't sure if he'd actually be a scout or if they just wanted to tuck him somewhere out of the way.

To an extent I felt bad for him. I think that's what prompted me to stand up. That and camp is boring. While the strict nature of the legion was so far from anything I really could keep going with, I needed more action in my life. Now get myself involved in an oath between a goddess and a demigod? Sounds like a good way to make things quite interesting.

I'd heard all the stories about the seven. The adventures they went on. While I know they were terribly dangerous I couldn't help being envious of them. To be able to go out into the world, fight monsters, have the gods know your name? Now that was a spot I hoped I could get to one day. Something told me that Zon might just be my ticket. 8 years at camp without a quest. He has to be overdo? I wasn't actually sure how often they were given out.

It wasn't long before I entered the forest. The sound of the leaves ever so gently brushing against each other and the calls of different distant animals were all I could hear. I closed Felix and tapped the spine of the book. It opened with a small puff of green. I reached into the book and pulled out a flashlight.

After turning it on, I continued venturing into the forest. I had no idea where I planned to go, but being surrounded by the trees felt more like home than being cooped up in a cabin. I was careful to not touch the trees, I didn't want to risk it being a Dryad and getting a harsh talking to.

I also kept glancing towards the sky. I'd heard about the harpies at camp, but I had yet to actually see one. I'd been walking for a while when the sounds of the forest all ceased. Everything seemed to pause except for the dull thump of footsteps approaching me from deeper within the forest.