chapter 2

Chapter 2 

 Andrew was in the training field when Markus found him. " Andrew, I have sent out a small scouting party to find out if Billi's story holds up and if there are any clues as to who destroyed his home and killed his family." said Markus. "Thank you, So what do you think Markus? Do you believe him?" asked Andrew.  " I do not know, it seems like he was telling the truth but you can never be to cautious, We are in the middle of a war zone. The rebels are getting closer than ever before."  " It would not surprise me if they tried to put one of there own in the heart of the castle, and who better than a young boy with a sad story." said Markus. " I know I have also thought about that but I still want to give the boy the benefit of the doubt. I would hate to treat him like a common criminal and later find out he was a victim after all. I do not want the boy to suffer any more because of me." Andrew said. Markus gave Andrew a weird look, it seemed like he was taking a liking to this boy and they had only just met. Sure he was a young kid and had been through a terrible ordeal but haven't they all in some degree or another. Markus had lost his parents to this war years ago, the English had raided his home and killed his father and raped and killed his mother when he was away fighting another band of english raiders. All over the highlands there were countless story's just like it. What was it about this boy that had Andrew throwing caution to the wind and allowing him free run of the castle?  what made this kid any different from the rest?

"Andrew, have you thought maybe you shouldn't let this boy wonder around unsupervised?" said Markus. " I am not he has a guard that was told to keep his distance and let me know if Billi does anything out of the ordinary." replied Andrew. "I know what you are thinking and your are wrong I do not fully trust him I just feel for the boy that's all. 

He can't be more than 14 or 15 and to have nothing left no family no home, how can I turn him away or lock him up until his story is confirmed. We both know that the English have no problems killing our people and burning our homes." Andrew said " I know Andrew but I just don't feel comfortable just letting him have free run until we know his story is true."  

 Andrew had a lot to think about . He knew he was taking a chance believing the boy but for some reason he did, From the moment he looked into his green eyes and saw the depth of his pain Andrew knew he would do whatever it took to help Billi. There was no explanation that made any sense other than he was young and had lost more than any kid should....

Billi woke up not knowing where she was to begin with and looked around her room, It was a small room most likely a servants quarters, there was a chest at the foot of the bed with some clean cloths on it and a table near the window with a pitcher of water and a bowl for washing, the bed was small but surprisingly comfortable. There were fresh rushes on the floor that made the room smell like home. Home, just thinking about it made Billi want to cry but she would not cry, she was going to stay strong and with Andrew's help she would find who killed her family and kill them, until then she vowed to keep her tears inside she had already broke down and cried last night and she would not do it again. She needed to stay strong so she could fight. Crying was a weakness and she was not weak. She was going to get up get dressed and find Andrew. He would be able to help keep her mind off of her family.

After walking around in circles lost Billi finally asked a passing maid how to get outside, the maid giggled and lead her out into the bailey. Billi thanked her and started for the training field when she saw Andrew walking toward her. 

"Billi, how are you feeling today?" asked Andrew. " I am much better thank you, I was wondering if you found anything out yet?" she asked. " I have no news yet however I did send out a scouting party and hopefully by super we will hear from them." replied Andrew. " Thank you so much Sir I do not know what I would have done without your help. I must find out who did this, I must get revenge for my parents and my village." Billi said.  " You do not have to do it alone anymore son I vow to help you anyway I can. I know it's hard but you must have patience we will find the rebels responsible and they will pay." said Andrew. " I do not know how I will ever repay you Sir Andrew thank you so much I will do anything just tell me and consider it done!" she said  " well I do need a new squire if you are up to the job." replied Andrew. Billi was in shock she just said she would do anything and now she will be required to be the personal servant for Sir Andrew, crap how was she ever going to be able to see him undressed let alone be the one helping him undress and still hide that she is a girl....It is hard enough trying to talk to him with out falling all over him. She was having a hard time controlling her feelings for him, In her head she tries to convince herself it is only because he is helping her avenge her parents death. But if she was honest with herself it is more than that, he is the most handsome man she has ever seen and a true knight ta boot . Just her luck to find the man of her dreams and he thinks she is a he... "I said anything Sir and I meant it, if you need a squire I am your guy." she said. " Great, I will put you to work today and hopefully it will help keep your mind off what is going on." said Andrew.  " what would you like me to do first Sir?" asked Billi. " Well you can start by training with me, I need to see what all you know and what all you need work on. I know boys your age haven't had much practice with weapons but you need to learn fast I will be heading back into the fight soon." replied Andrew " I have had more training than you might think Sir, my father made time to teach me almost everyday." said Billi. " That is great lets get on the field then." 

The rest of the afternoon was spent in the training field Andrew was very impressed with the skill Billi had, he could hold his own against most of the younger knights and all of the other squires, even a few of the older knights got winded sparring with him.  He had a lot of speed and was very agile on the field. After lunch they decided to train on archery, dang if the kid wasn't a natural with a bow. There wasn't a single soldier who could beat the kid. Andrew was speechless he had never met a boy as young as Billi with as much skill. He was feeling very confident that he would be able to hold his own if there was a need for it. 

After a long day training most of the men were heading to the river to wash up so Andrew assumed Billi would as well but when he turned to ask him he was running towards the castle. Andrew decided to let it go at this time but made a mental note to ask about it later.

Billi was freaking out, she never thought that they would all go to the river to wash after training, she never even considered it a possibility. She never even thought about the soldiers back home or where they washed up at. sure it makes sense not to have maids and kitchen boys dragging buckets of hot water all over the castle but again it was something she would have never thought about until today. How was she going to explain why she could not bath in the river with everyone else? It is not like she could just walk up and drop her clothes like them, they would guess she was a girl in no time and then what would she do? She needed to think of a reason and fast she was sure Andrew would come find her and ask as soon as he was done in the river. 

 Andrew was on his way in the castle when he saw Billi heading his way with a handful of clothes. " Hey, where did you go?" asked Andrew. " I had to get clothes I hate putting dirty clothes on after I wash makes me feel like I need another dip." she said with a laugh. Andrew laughed with her and decided it made sense and let it go. " you had better hurry super will be ready soon." Billi dropped her clothes and took off running back in the castle. Andrew stood there a few moments after Billi was inside wondering what just happened, the he figured he had better go find him and see what was wrong.. This kid was confusing to say the least thought Andrew as he walked up the stairs to Billi's room. When he reached the door he could have sworn he heard crying. 

Hey! thank you so much for reading my book! I hope you all like it and please vote comment and fav! and if you do not like it please let me know all feed back is welcome. It is my first attempt and I am sure I need loads of help.   Much love and happy reading I am working on the next chapter and hoping to make it longer.