SIX

JOLENE'S POV

JOLENE'S POV

I walk into the bar, and I have to weave my way through the crowd. It's more packed than usual because a band is performing tonight on stage. They're called Earth-616. Sick name. The three members, a girl and two guys who are a year or two younger than me, are actually part of the decathlon team of Emerald City High.

I remember them playing the finale of the decathlon tournament and performing at prom on the same day. They're way too cool.

Music blares from the speakers as I do my best to navigate around people with their pints of beer in hand, trying to avoid accidental spills that could ruin my cute little green crop top.

I head to the back of the bar where I can finally spot my friends around the pool table.

Steve is the first to see me and he wraps his arms around me, lifting me and making me swirl in the air.

I can't help but laugh, begging him to put me on the ground.

He finally lowers me down, his fingertips brushing the bare skin of my ribs between the hem of my crop top and my high waisted shorts, and then I start giving everyone a hug to say hello. When it comes to Buchanan's turn, he only waves at me, the dismissive kind, freezing me into place. I wasn't expecting him to wrap his arms around me and give me a tender embrace right in front of our friends but, at least some casualness? A casual greeting hug isn't a commitment, is it?

The heat from last time has vanished from his eyes, replaced by a cold-blue gaze that I can't stand. I look away, hurt and shame overwhelming me, and I feel an arm wrapping around my shoulder, calling me down to Earth.

It's Sam.

Steve introduced me to Sam, Tony and Clint after the two of us became friends. All four of them were playing for the Gems, the football team of Emerald City High. But only Steve wanted to go pro so after graduation he got a scholarship, left town and is now playing for the Super Soldiers while he pursues legal studies.

Tony could never work a single day in his life if he didn't want to, the Stark family being like, super, super rich. Sam enrolled in the Air Force and will leave at the end of summer. And Clint is the only one of our friend group who didn't leave Emerald City, going from an odd job to another and will become a father in a couple of weeks. Clint still hangs out with us from time to time, but after his cheating it has been only Steve, Tony, Sam and me.

We are a constant in each other's life. We grew up so different, with different goals and lifestyles, but in the meantime we swore after graduation, making it a point of honor to spend every summer together. Like the good old times.

Sam squeezes my shoulder in comfort and pulls me closer, as if he knows something is bugging me. Because yeah, someone is definitely bugging me.

I push every thought of me and Buchanan tangled together away and start focusing on the good night ahead. I'm surrounded by my best friends, everything's fine. I force a smile on my face and look up at Sam. He pecks my forehead and gently lets me go.